11. So Far, So Good

Start from the beginning

I had seen It's a Wonderful Life countless times, courtesy of my mother, and when I found the old theater, I found that I was actually excited at the thought of taking Ridge.

Throughout the whole movie, I found my gaze traveling from the screen of black and white, to Ridge, who sat with his head on my shoulder through the whole movie. In fact, I didn't even notice when the end credits began rolling, and the light in the theater were being turned back on.

It wasn't until Ridge lifted his head from my shoulder, and met my gaze with a smile, that I realized the movie was over.

I don't know why, but Ridge didn't seem inclined to mention my lack of attention during the movie, and I was thankful. He only smiled at me as we stood from our seats and made our way outside.

"No one has ever taken me to see an old movie before. It was kind of sexy."

His mischievous grin, along with the inappropriate comment, sent me into a blushing mess, once again.

I look down at my shoes.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it."

When I looked up from my feet, Ridge was watching me, a glint in his eye.

"Are you ready?"

Ridge only smiles, and leads the way out of the theater, and into the cold night air.

I try to brush aside the fact that I might've taken notice of his bum.

And I move quickly move ahead to catch up when I also notice my blush at the prospect.

What's going on with me?

...

The car ride back to Ridge's apartment was uneventful, and mostly quiet, aside from the classical music playing softly from the speakers- Ridge hadn't bothered changing it, and I wasn't about to.

It remained quiet until I pulled up to his building, stopping my car.

"I had fun tonight, Sabastian."

He smiles at me from the passenger seat, noticeably less seductively than usual.

"I should get- "

"Let me walk you up- "

We both speak at once, and laugh, slightly breathless, before I continue.

"Let me walk you up. It's only polite, and I'm nothing if not a gentleman. My mother saw to that." I give Ridge a smile before I hope out of the car, and move around to the passenger side to open Ridge's door.

"Was that really so bad? Coerced and all?"

Ridge askes the question, and I'm surprised by how softly he asks it.

"I had fun, Ridge. Actually- "

We stopped at Ridge's door, and he turns to face me, green eyes shining.

"Actually, we could go out again if- "

I am suddenly cut off when Ridge touches my cheek, only for a moment, before he tangles a hand into my dark hair, and one in the black button up of my shirt as he pulls me to him, touching his lips to my own.

I am stunned, and for a moment I only stand there.

And, for a moment, I kiss him back.

And then I react, without thinking.

I push Ridge away, and I step back from him. Straightening my black-rimmed glasses, I look Ridge in the face.

"I didn't go on this date to take advantage of you, or to be taken advantage of, Ridge. I don't know what you are used to, but you will please do well to remember that."

I take a few more steps back from him.

"You may be able to say what you wish, but I ask you kindly to keep your hands to yourself."

I turn to go, and look over my shoulder once.

"And I retract my former offer. Do not expect another date from me, Ridge. I'm sorry."

I walk back down to the car, my blood warm, and my body shaking.

I know I reacted badly.

I know I was surprised.

And angry.

And still. A part of me was excited. Alive, even.

And that is why I said what I did. To protect myself, and him.

Physical touch should be saved to show someone that you care for them.

And I'm not ready to face my feelings for a certain Ridge Akabane.