i am so incredibly thankful for you

"Are you sure you wanna come in with me?" I asked Josh uneasily, "You should go home and be with Cory and Topanga and your parents. You don't have to be here, Josh."

"I know," He replied, "But I want to be here. I know this is gonna be hard and I wanna help you in any way I possibly can."

I tilted my head and gave him a small smile, "Even if it means missing your mom's famous pumpkin pie?"

Josh chuckled, "I'm sure she'll save us a piece, and remember we'll go over there later," He kissed my forehead, "Now go on. Knock on the door."

I sighed and placed my hand on the door, unable to bring myself to knock. Josh got the message and knocked on the door himself, and then intertwining his hand with mine, squeezing it for reassurance.

A small girl who looked no more than six or seven answered the door. She had blonde hair and dark brown eyes, and was wearing spongebob pajamas, "Are you Maya?" The little girl asked softly, her brown eyes wide.

"That's me," I smiled, "And who are you?"

"I'm Monica," She replied, "Who's the boy next to you?"

I laughed, "This is Josh. He's my friend. He's going to be eating dinner with us tonight. Is that alright with you?"

She shrugged, "Do my mommy and daddy know he's coming?"

I pursed my lips, "No, but he's my guest. Thanksgiving is a time for families to get together. Josh is part of my family."

"We have the same daddy," Monica blurted.

"Yep," I replied, biting my lip, "That makes us sisters, you know." 

Monica grinned and grabbed my hand, "Come on."  Monica pulled me into the apartment.  It was a nice size, much bigger than mine, and was painted a deep red through out it all.  There was a big leather couch in the living room along with a stone fire place and TV above it, and the room flowed nicely into a dining room that was connected to a kitchen.  It smelt sweet like blueberry pie and was very warm compared to the outdoors.  "Daddy," Monica called, "Maya is here, and she brought a friend."

I saw what I assumed to by Maya's mom in the kitchen cooking something, and she walked out to the living room to greet us.  She had dark brown hair and dark brown eyes,  but had fair skin and a slender body.  She didn't look much younger than my mom.  She was pretty, but she was also the women my father left my mother for, "Hi, Maya," She smiled,  "I'm Elisabeth."   

"Hi," I smiled, and shook her hand.  Although part of me hated her with my guts,  I knew she had no idea about me when her and my father started to go out.  I wanted to like her,  but it would take time.  She seemed nice enough.  

She reached her hand out to Josh, and he took her hand as well, "I'm Josh." 

"You guys can take a seat in the living room," She started, "Kermit should be home soon.  Him and Max had to go out to run an errand quick.  They should be home soon, and dinner should be ready around the same time."  

"Thank you," Josh replied, and took my hand and lead me to the couch.  I laid my head on his shoulder as we sat there with our hands intertwined, occasionally squeezing mine for comfort.  He knew I was having a hard time, and I knew he would do whatever he could to make me feel better.  

"Hi," Monica walked over to us.   She was now wearing a blue dress and had two pony tails in her hand, "Can you braid my hair, Maya?" 

I sat up and she boosted herself on to my lap while I started to braid,  "Who's Max?" I blurted.