treat you better

update august 2017: trigger warning - rape, drinking, and domestic abuse is mentioned.  

m a y a 

"What is this?" My fiancee,  Mason, screamed at me from across the table, "this is what you call food?" He stabbed his fork into the piece of chicken and threw it on the ground.  I could smell the beer on his breath as he yelled, "This is shit, Maya.  Why can't you do better?" 

"I'm sorry," I said softly, avoiding eye contact, "I'll do better next time; I promise." I tried to assure him.  His words hurt, they always did, but the whole process had fallen into a daily routine.  The first time he had lashed out at me I was scared and upset, but after a year of the treatment; you get used to it.  It was nothing I couldn't handle.  I was a strong, independent, woman after all.  

"Next time?  You always say next time.  When is it going to be next time?  When are you gonna start getting off your ass and actually do something for once?  How about you make me happy for once instead of sitting around and painting your dumb pictures all day?  You're not talented and you're not special," Mason slurred.  I knew he was drunk, but my heart ached at those words.  We were so good in high school, but then things changed. 

We started dating the night of junior prom in high school.  He had asked me and I had said yes, since there was no one else asking, and we ended up having a great time.  6 months later we were still dating and he told me he loved me, and I had said it back.  Then we graduated high school and he proposed a few weeks later.  Of course, being the young and in love kid I was, I said yes. Later that summer, we had moved in together.  Mason's parents have a shit ton of money and he basically earns a very fair income for doing absolutely nothing.  Anyways, that's when he started acting different.  The pushed sex was always something that was common in our relationship. I mean he pushed it on me the night of prom; the night we had first met each other.  He had always said little things about how I should see Riley and the gang less and be with him more.  He had always joked about me not being the prettiest girl, but I thought I wasn't as well, so it didn't make much of a difference.  The occasional mean comments, remarks about not wanting me to see Riley, and pushed sex was something I was used to.  It was coming home drunk and saying horrific things to me. It was hitting me hard when I did something wrong and throwing me on the bed or ground when I angered him. It was those things that really really scared me.  But I was young and in love.  I thought he didn't mean those things.  I mean he was drunk, right? I know he doesn't mean them.  He's Mason.  He loves me. 

"I think you owe me something special, Maya," Mason said, getting up from his chair and walking towards me seductively.  It was the tenth night in a row he had done this, and I was tired.  My body was sore and I was physically and mentally exhausted. 

"I would, baby," I lied, forcing a seductive smile on my face, "but I have a class to get to tonight.  Maybe later," I winked and pressed my lips to his.  He tasted like the usual; beer and cigarettes, except there was something different this time.  Their was a hint of vanilla, which lead me straight to the thought of him in bed with some other girl with stupid vanilla lip gloss.  He slipped his tongue in my mouth and I slowly pulled away, "bye," I whispered, and closed the door slowly.  My acting skills had become increasingly well over the past 2 years.  I always used the trick of making him think I wanted him, but then slipping out because I had to run.  It has worked once a week for the past 6 months, and I didn't want it to stop working. 

I headed down the cold streets of New York while the December breeze nipped at my bare legs.  I was wearing an old, long sleeved, grey shirt with a black skirt, while my thin navy coat sat over it.  Although Mason had enough money to spend on me; he didn't want to.  He told me, "The checks have my name on it, so they're mine".  I didn't really have a problem with it; I mean they did have his name on it.  I was only a little bit cold; it was nothing I couldn't handle.