Chapter 9: Just cause

In Kayla's P.O.V

I don't remember how it happened. All I know is my friends and I left the party at 1:00 am, dropped them off at their house and then I remembered driving to Saint Marie's, a 24-hour bookstore.

Marion, the "cashier" that goes to the same school as me, greeted me with the usual smile. A smile filled with innocence but a hint of mischief.

"Hey Marion, why didn't you go to the party?"

He gave a book called Falling Into Place and poured me a cup of tea. "I just didn't want to go but read that book."

Falling into place, can we actually fall into a specific place in the world. Some people probably thinks that we have everything figured out but they're dead wrong...

"It's about this popular girl named Liz and she commits suicide because she's fed up with the world, and I read it and it's good." Marion clicked his tongue and I smiled.

"Did she die?" I whispered.

"No spoilers."

He poured more tea and it calmed me down. "To be honest, I'm surprise to see you here late at night."

i tilted my head, "But I like reading."

"Oh I know, it's just that, you love sleeping."

ohhhh... "I like sleeping but I couldn't go to sleep. Too many thoughts running through my head."

"Ms. Kayla, you're always welcome here and no matter what you're going through, it's going to be ok."

"Thanks and nice tea." I hugged Marion and left the bookstore. I'm exhausted. Life has been crazy lately and I hope everything are going to be okay.

I was in my car, listening to the silence, when I got a random text from Michael.

Did you have fun at the party?

I replied with a simple yes. I put my car into gear and drove home. I wonder if he's actually happy but I wonder why I even care.