Chapter 14: Alphas, Omegas, Mothers, and Mates

I hear my clothes rip and fall to the ground.

I force my paws to push on through the dense pine trees, even though I hear my Alpha telling me to come to him. Daxton, get your ass back inside of the pack-house now.

NO! I yell through my mind at Andrew. I need to get away from my life for a minute. I can't believe she just thought that. She even told me she loved me, how could she even-

My thoughts continue as the night gets darker the trees above me get denser and my senses are overwhelmed with the smell of the trees and the new stronger smell of the ocean. I take a sharp left and head towards the salty smell. I'm quickly met with the edge of the cliff. my paws ache as I screech to a stop and stand on the edge of the drop off.

I look down into the foamy,dark blue sea, and think about my mate.

The way here dark, brown hair cascades wavily down her shoulders and down her back, ending at just above her waist. Her beautiful deep green eyes, that are always changing colors. The way they seem to burn into mine as I stare into them. Her white, untanned skin. Her face sprinkled with light brown freckles, especially on her nose. And the way her nose comes to a rounded point.

I feel my heart smiling and silently tell it to shut up. I hear Andy in my head again, If you don't get back now, you're gonna be in trouble.

Come on Dax, just listen to him before he starts counting. Please? My best friend, Jackson, chimes in.

I roll my eyes at him for butting in like that. Fine, I respond and turn around. I begin to run towards my pack-house.

Our pack-house is basically a mansion where my whole pack lives. My mother an I are supposed to live there too, but when my dad abandoned us my mom was banished, because of her not being of this pack and all. I'm actually supposed to live there too, but I'm not going to make my destressed mother live by herself in the middle of her old suburb. I know that you're probably wondering why my mom didn't live in her pack-house. Well, my mom's mom was a werewolf, but her dad was a human. They were mates, but after she was born, my dad stole my mom and took her to live with him as a normal human.

Until the first time she changed. She used to try and explain the face he'd made to me, and it was so shocked or freaked. Oh, did I forget to mention that my grandmother never told him she was a werewolf? Yeah, so they figured out where my mom lived and gave her back, so that she could be raised  by "her own kind". When my mom grew up she left her pack to be with my dad, and then, after my dad left my mom's pack refused to take her back in. So my mom let me choose. I could either stay with my pack, and live the full life as a werewolf, or I could live with her and live like a normal human. Of course I chose my mom.

The first time I changed, my mom wasn't nearly as surprised as her dad. She always used to say she could see the "symptoms" of the change. Despite the fact that there are absolutely no symptoms for the morphing. She then worked out a deal with my father's pack. I could live with my mother as long as I didn't pose a threat to any humans, and I could train with the pack in my class everyday of the week after school. I'd have to come in on weekends, too, to be able to catch up and stay up-to-speed with the rest of my class. Because, while I was spending time sitting in desks with humanoids, my pack brothers were out here running their problems away.

I stand outside and stare at the giant red house with yellow trim, that could've been my home. Well, yeah. I'd have been basically an orphan, but I would've gotten to live my life as what I am (a werewolf, just in case you didn't get that).

But I probably would never have met my mate, Laney.

I sigh and morph back into my human form. I put on the extra clothes they keep on the front porch and walk through the front door.

I tread through the open halls into the dining room. The pack greets me with a thunderous roar of welcoming calls, and a few of my closest buddies slap my butt. "Hey, guys," I say, modestly. It's nice to know that even though I don't live hear, they treat me like a full blood brother.

Andrew and Jacob, his omega or assistant to the alpha, pull me into another hall that leads into the bedrooms, and start to jump my case about being, oh, what was that word they used... . Oh, yeah, "unattentive" and "disobedient". I roll my eyes, and interput Andy, "Whatever, just keep in mind I'm not really part of your pack. You do know that, right?"

I read his mind, and know the words before they even come out of his mouth. "And you know that you were very lucky to be excepted the way you are."

I know he's right, and I'm lucky he can't read minds or he'd know that. Andy's power is that he has a heigtened sense of smell and hearing. Jacob's is that he is a "prodigy" in fighting. I don't really think either of their talents should give them that high of a rank in the pack.

The way it works is that alpha is in the blood, but the Omega is chosen by the future Alpha. The only reason that Jacob's Omega is because he was Andy's best friend when he became alpha. They've been on the rocks since he officially became Alpha. Or at least that's what the pack's told me.

Thick fingers snap in front of my face, trying to get my attention back. "You got that, dude?" Andy's voice is authoritative and irritating.

I roll my eyes and say yeah, even though I don't know anything they said. I search both of their minds for any trace of whatever they've been ranting about for the past few minutes. I find nothing. I'm screwed.

I walk back into the dining room, and sit in my place at the table by Jackson.

The thunderous roar of the pack barking (not literally, of course) at each other is silenced as Andy stands at the head of the long wooden table. He clears his throat, then starts, "I have called you all here to this pack meeting, to discuss our pack's position annd condition.

"Let's start off with the fact that, other than some minor disagreements-" he eyes me, because I tend to argue with him. A lot. "-you guy have made my transition into the Alpha position extremely easy. Thank you guys. 

"Now to the worse news. Moonlight Pack is becoming increasingly violent towards our pack-" he looks at me again "-and we've tried to arrange meetings with their pack leaders, Alphas, Omegas, and even as far down as the actual pack members, but they refuse to cooperate with us. We, being the pack leaders, believe that they are going to try to go after one of our patrolers so that they they cause a fight and therefore give them the proof of us breaking the treaty, then they'll claim our land.

"We are really gonna need to take patrols seriously for the next few weeks until we feel it's safe, or at least safer," He finishes out his speech and asks if there are any questions. "Then this meeting is adjourned."

People start to get up, walk out and just leave. I've learned not to try and fight my way theought the crowds of full-trained werewolves, while I bearly know how to control my shifting when I'm angry. One of the older pack-leaders whispers something in Andy's ear, and then walks away. "Except for you, Jefferson. You come over here and talk with me for a second.

Because you haven't jumped my ass enough today? I think as I make my to the top of the table. "Yes, your majesty," I ask, sarcstically.

He rolls his eyes at me, and says, " 'Your majesty'. It has a nice ring to it. But, seriously. I'm not going to put you on patrols at all untilyou're considered... safety-protocall. We think you're too much of a risk with our problem with the Moonlight Aalpha, Tristin."

"Okay, great. I get to do less work," I roll my eyes and cross my arms. "Are we done here?" When he nods, I turn around and walk out of the house.

I hate being part of this pack. No let me rephrase that, I hate being under someone else's rule.

I'm so tired of there crap, but it's not my choice anymore.

I only care about two people, and none of them belong to this pack.

It's My mother. And My mate.

Those are the only things that hold places in my heart.

Whether anyone else or I like it.