Chapter 13: Sleepovers Aren't As Fun As I Remember

"Let's play truth or dare!" She laughs. 

I roll my eyes, and say "I hate truth or dare! I'm such a chicken, so it's not even fun, 'cause I always choose truth."

"I know you do, but still..." She coerses.

I roll my eyes at her, and agree, silently hoping that she doesn't ask anything about Dax. My hopes are shot down with her first question. "So, how far have y'all gone?"

"Okay, Shelby. We are NOT going there. Nothing about Dax, please?" I answer, pleadingly.

She moves her eyes from mine to her nails, and starts picking at them. "You know," she starts, but her voice just trails off. She gets up and moves over to the chair in the corner of her room.

"What? I know what, Shelby?"I move to the side of her bed closest to her.

She turns to me, and I see a few tears running down her cheek. "We used to tell each other everything, but ever since gala, you don't text me back. You don't talk to me, like at all, and..." Her voice turns into a seriesof sniffles, sobs, and whatever that other noise is.

"Hey, don't be like that. Shh, shh. Don't cry." I sit in her lap, and hug her shoulders.

"Will you at least tell me why we would've had to stop by Dax's house if we'd picked up some of your clothes?" She asks sweetly, and I cave. If I can't tell my best friend about my boyfriend being a werewolf, then I guess owe her this much of an explanation, right?

"Of course, I owe you at least that much, right?" We giggle and do our little hand shake, then I tell her the story. Avoiding the parts including Dax's double life, of course. And I don't tell her about the fact that we almost... hooked up. "So, yeah that's pretty much it." Almost.

Her mouth just drops open as she gasps. "What? You new we were a thing, so why are you so surprised?"

"Well, you just... Laney, you are living together. That's serious," she says, her voice too concerned, and her eyebrows raise up. "You should go back home. Move back home."

I scoff at her, even though I know she's right. "No, my mom's fine with it," I lie.

She gives me that look, and I know she's not buying it. "No, she's not, and you're a liar." She says jokingly, but seriously at the same time. It's so weird how she can make me feel like a criminal so easily.

I sigh and make a face, because it's not fair that she can make me feel so terrible about running away. Wow, that sounded so stupid. "I know I am. I kind of ran away, and he was the closest person to me," I say, suddenly realizing I used the wrong words by the look in her eyes. "The person that lived closest to me, babe. Not because he was the one I trusted the most or anything, okay? Don't be like that, okay?"

"Fine," she says. "Let's go do something."

The rest of the night is uneventful. We watch Netflix marathons, eat ice cream by the gallons, and talked about the drama at school. Nothing worth remembering, except fo rone little thing.

We were just sitting around watching Disney movies, when she turns around to me and says, "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

I nod and say, "Of course I do."

And I really do wish I could tell her anything. But I can't, because it's not my secret to tell. I'm not really even supposed to know. Yet I do, and there's another thing I can't stand.

She was right when she said we used to tell each other everything. From who we liked to when we got our first kisses. At least my first real kiss, which wasn't that great. But the only other guy I've kissed is Dax, and his are amazing, because he's desperately in love with me, so by comparison every other kiss absolutely sucks.

But we haven't really talked in a while, and, even though I have someone who has to love me no matter what I do or say, every girl needs her girl-bestie. It's just something we need, and I've gone without one for almost a month. I've missed her so much. And she knows it almost as much as I do.

I still can't tell her everything about my new-found boyfriend. I don't know if I ever will. I just wish I could, though.

But I can't.

I can't tell her anything about Dax's double life.

I fall asleep thinking about how I'll have to lie my way out of a whole lot of things that include the only other person I'm sure I love.

I hate myself for that, but I love Dax more.

I do love him more, right?