Chapter 7: You Are My Escape

The phone on my chest vibrates and wakes me up. I click on the text and see that it's Dax with a good morning text. But that's not the text that surprises me. There's about ten texts from Tristin, all talking about that same freaking secret.

God, what is this boy's problem? Why can't he just get a life? Why does he have to be such an idiot? Why can't he just worry about himself? These are all rhetorical questions I know won't be answered.

I'm not really mad at Tristin. Why should I be? I guess I'm really mad at Dax, if I'm mad at anyone at all. But it's only because there's something he isn't telling me. 

Why the hell am I sitting here defending Tristin, and putting down Dax--my frigging boyfriend? I mean if I take a step back and look around, who's really the bad guy here? The boy who's always been there for me, and may always be there for me. Or the boy who dumped another girl(that's a total hoe) for me, then tries to get into my business. And Tristin can't keep his own nose in his own buisness either.

I glance at the clock and the calendar. It's Saturday, so Dax might have to babysit his brother, but maybe we could do something. I click on his number, then the "CALL" button. "Hey," I say after a few rings.

"Good morning, babe." I can hear the smile in his voice.

"Hey, what are you ddoing today?" I ask.

"Um... not really anything. My mom's off so I don't have to watch Brock, though." Brock's his little brother.

"You wanna do something with me today? I really need to get out of this house."

"Yeah sure." He reponds. "You want to go to the park down the street from my house?" 

"Yep," I answer. "Sounds great."

I slip on some jean shorts that come right above my thighs and change into a blue spaghetti strap tank top. I grab my phone and slip it in my pocket. I walk down the stairs, and turn into the kitchen. I set the Keurig to make one cup of my favorite coffee, then I write a note to my mother saying that I'm with Dax, and that I have my phone if she needs me. I stick it onto the front of the coffee-maker, and gulp down the rest of my coffee.

I jump at the knock on the door.  Carrying the cup with me, I go to the door and open it up. I stand there staring at my gorgeous boyfriend.

His hair is in its normal style. But his eyes are a beautiful hazel. His white shirt hugs his chest, showing off his muscular chest and arms. He is also wearing jeans, and his converse, but his eyes are really what catch my attention. They aren't only hazel. They are chcolate brown around the rims of the irises, and get brighter and more hazel, or maybe it's burning ember,closer to pupils.

"Hi, Lane." His voice brings me out of my haze.

"Hey. Come in." I motion him in. "You can sit in here for second, 'cause I've got to go finish getting ready. " I finish. But he follows me into the kitchen. "Do youo want some coffee?" I ask him.

"No, that's alright." He answers. "So, where's your mom?"

I take a big gulp of my French-vanilla latte, then answer slowly, "She went out with Harmonie last night." I end it with a sigh and roll my eyes. He knows who Harmonie is, and he knows that "going out" for my mom, unless she's with a guy, means drinks. He also knows my mom can't do drinks.

"Did she get-"

I interupt him. "Yeah. She got drunk." I take the last big gulp of coffee from my cup. It's still a little hot, so it burns as it goes down my throat. I take take a deep, cold breath, and say, "Come on. Let's go."

I slip on my Sperrys and open the door. We walk out onto the road and I slide my hand into his, linking our fingers. I sigh and lean my head on his shoulder, as we dilly dally down the sidewalk. I look up at Dax, his eyes sparkling in the sunlight. I think back to the way I was thinking a few days ago. How the hell did we get here? I mock myself. I'm lucky I got this boy before anyone else could. 

And I know that other girls want him. I can tell from the things I've heard, the way they watch him as we walk down the hall. I'm not going to do anything about it. If he wanted to have them, he could've already. He chose me.

We turn the corner and there's the park. We're the only ones here, even though it's fairly warm and a Saturday, around noon. At first we sit on one of the tables, just talking.

"So what's up?" He asks me.

"I don't know... it's just lately... since gala.... Everything has been... messed up, I guess." I automatically see thet hurt in his eyes. He gets up and starts to walk away, but I get up and run in front of him. "Babe," I say, trying to get him to look my in the eyes but he continues to stare at the ground.   "Look at me... please?" Finally, he looks up.

He stares into my eyes, and I know he's searching for what I meant by that. "I didn't mean that badly. I love being your girlfreind," I say, then quickly peck him on the cheek. "It's just... II've got so much going on right now, babe. I just need an... escape." I kiss him on the lips. His lips are warm and they mold together with mine perfectly. They still taste like warm, sweet, delicious chocolate. He pulls away from me.

"Okay." He grabs my hand and leads me into the woods next to the park.

I follow, hoping there isn't anything in there that wants to hurt us.

Or anyone.