Chapter 9: Practically Speechless

At first I can't even comprehend what's going on. The growls and snarls fill my ears. The blur of both of their furs, send my heart into overdrive.

I fall back as Dax starts to grow fur all over his body, then his teeth get sharper. That's when I scramble backwards, trip over a root, and fall onto my butt. I feel the silent tears rush down my cheeks, and I try to get my hands to get over my face, but they refuse. My body won't move, it's as if time slows down, and all I can do is watch, my mind locked on these two wolves trying to kill each other.

Dax's fur is the color of his long, golden brown locks, but Tristin's is black, much unlike his blond hair. Their teeth go after each other's throats, and I can't stand it anymore. I scream, loudly. The sound rips through the near silence that has fallen over the woods. "Look, guys," I start. "I don't know if you can even understand what I'm saying, but if you can, please stop this." I can hear my own voice trembling with confusion and fear. Dax looks at Tristin, and I think that that's him shaking his head. "Why not?" I ask desperately.

Dax--or his wolf, I guess--comes over to me and puts his nose in my hand, trying to make me "listen" to what he's trying to make me do. He then pushes me behind a tree, and nods his head up and down, motioning for me to sit. I do, and he walks away, leaving me alone behind this tree. Please don't let them still be fighting. I plead, silently to myself.

I hear a loud noise, and then the rustling of trees. The next thing that happens is Dax coming and grabbing my hand, pulling me back out into the clearing. There is silence and I awkwardly stand there, not wanting to speak anymore than anyone else in these woods. Suddenly a snarl rips through the air, and I jump away from Dax. My heart's still pumping three times what it's probably supposed to be, and I can feel it in my throat, hands, and stomach. "Come with me." Dax's voice  is strict. He grabs my wrist and starts to lead me away, in the opposite direction of Tristin.

"Wait," I say, but he keeps walking, and I can't stop him. "You have to--"

"Explain? I will," He cuts me off mid-sentence. "But only when we are at home."

We only have to walk across the street, but apparently I'm not walking fast enough. "Get on my back." By his voice I can tell he's still tense, so I hop onto his back, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. I kiss him high up on his cheekbone, near his eye, trying to get him to breathe a little more, and it does. But only barely.

We get to Dax's house quicker than I thought we would. He pulls me off his back. grabs me by the hand, and leads me into the house. He slams open the door, and doesn't bother closing it after I come in, so I do.

The next thing I know, I look up and see Dax pacing around the living room. I walk over and try to talk to him, I put my hand on his shoulder, and he's burning up. I grab his arm. The first thing I notice is that it's trembling. The next is that his pulse is racing with at least fifty pulses a minute. He's muttering on, never quite finishing any of his sentences. I try to to grab him, pull him into a hug, rub his back. Everything I know to do to calm someone down. Finally, I go to my last resort. I get in front of him and stand there, until his body is inches from mine. Then, with the most grace I can conjor up, I kiss him.

His body immediately stops trembling, and his heart slows, as his hands move to my hips. But his temperature is still very high, I can tell by how hot his lips are.

I pull away, when I feel his temperature drop a little and I pull him down onto the couch. "Now," I say, turning to face him, "Please explain to me what the hell just happened between you and that jerk?"

At first he hesitates, but then says, "Well, you see... I'm sort of a werewolf." Well thanks for the "news". I figured out that much, I think. "And so is Tristin. We are from different packs, he's future alpha of his pack, and I should have been a big part of mine. If my dad hadn't left, that is."