Chapter One - Maddox XXX

The sound of a foot being rapped against the floor, high pitched and irritating as fuck echoed in the waiting room.

I was sitting at my desk, resisting the urge to grit my teeth as the idiot across me continued to fidget and tap his foot in a way that gave away his nervousness.

If the unconscious fidgeting wasn't a dead giveaway, the sweat that dripped from his brow and the disgruntled look to his attire certainly was.

His eyes kept flickering to the clock that hung on the wall -it was large, stainless steel, simple and clean, and even louder than the clicking of his feet.

I watched him curiously, fingers flying over my keyboard as I aimlessly tried to look occupied and not like I was studying him like he was a split frog under the scope, pinned in place with his innards bursting open and exposed.

He cleared his throat uneasily, and stuttered. "H-how much longer is this going to take?"

My lip twitched.

I smiled softly, enjoying the way his eyes strayed to the security staff that stood by the main doors, glaring at him. He looked terrified.

"You'll meet Maddox shortly. First, we need to go over your contract."

At my words, his head whipped around to stare at me, his blood-shot eyes shooting mistrusting daggers.

I crossed my legs under my desk, fixing my skirt, before resting my wrists and entwined hands delicately on the stained oak, gently moving my keyboard aside.

I gestured to the chair across from me, and from where he sat on the row of four black-leather chairs that served as a waiting area, I saw him scowl.

His nervous energy was almost suffocating. The air was tainted by it, and despite not having said anything particularly threatening, his breathing was steadily speeding up.

When he didn't move, I gestured again, narrowing my eyes.

"Maddox refuses to work with anyone who doesn't agree to the contracted terms, friend or not."

I certainly hadn't forgotten his little fuck up from before. How, in his plea for our assistance from one of the agents, Deia, he had claimed to personally know Mr. Maddox. Claiming he owed him a favour, and insisting that Deia bring him to the second floor of Club Triple XXX as he had dire business that needed dealing with as soon as.

I had known he was full of shit the second he stepped onto the floor. He reeked of it. The nervous jitters, and the ratty clothes. I didn't know much about him other than that he was a low-key drug dealer selling poor produce on the streets of Horn Hill.

I would have had him immediately removed if I wasn't slightly intrigued by his request. But it appeared from the look in his eyes now that he had no idea what he had just walked into. What kind of service we ran.

I watched him silently.

He was in way over his head.

"No one said anything about a contract."

I raised a perfectly arched brow at that. The strength he had in his voice moments ago had drained away. His fidgeting was getting worse - he was getting agitated

I purposefully began tapping my manicured nails against the desk, wanting to laugh everytime his eye twitched in response to the offending sound.

"Surely, Mr. Maddox would have mentioned this to you?"

I couldn't hold back the sarcasm as it dripped freely from every syllable.

His eyes flew around the room, a fight or flight response kicking in. His breathing could be heard loud and heavy and I could see that he was about to freak out. He was trapped, and he knew it.