Chapter 4

“ Well Sir Bulwark please follow me.”, I said while I opened the door and went out of the guard’s quarters. I didn’t want this trip to be awkward so I started thinking of how to start a conversation. ” So, how did you end up getting the job of being my personal guard.” I said as casually as I could. First he looked at me deciding whether he should answer but, then he answered me.

“ I was in the gardien academy where I was taught how to be a royal guard. I did very well in my class and I kept advancing so fast. So when your parents came by I was the top student at the time. So their majesties picked me as your royal guard.”

“ I thought you would have a more interesting story than that.” I said in a teasing voice. Many people would think that their rulers would be super strict. My parents are the ones that are mostly strict. But me, I literally talk to all the staff like their my friends especially Gabrella since she’s the closest to my age (she’s only one month older than me). But since he didn’t know that I usually talked like that he looked at me weird. Then we got into the elevator (we were already halfway to my room already). I didn't want to be in awkward silence the rest of the way so I said,” What do you think of the palace so far?”

He didn't answer immediately, but when he did answer he said,” So far everyone has been nice ,but i'm not sure if that is because i'm the new guy.”

“ I sure it's not because of that. I think it's because we hadn’t had a new staff member in a while. The last one we had was Gabrella, and that was two year ago.”

“ I’m just wondering but who is Gabrella?”

“ Gabrella is my main maid. You will be seeing her around a lot, because she is literally my best friend.”

“ You don’t have any other best friends?” he said with a questioning look on his face.

“No, I don’t really leave the palace that much anymore.”

“ Well in that case, i’ll be your new friend.” He said proudly, “ If you want me to be your friend that is.” he added in quickly.

I questioned this because my mom said no fooling around, but when do I not fool around. And it would be nice to have another friend. So I said,” Of course you could be my friend. It would be nice to have another one.”

“ Thank you your majesty?” he said with a bow.

“ No more of your majesty anymore; except if it’s in front of my parents or any other important people. But you may now call me Diamond for now on.”

He was shocked at first that I actually agreed to it, but then he said,” Of course Diamond. And since you told me your name; my name is Jacob ”

We were in front of my room door already’ but before I went into my room my door was flung open. Luckily I got pulled out of the way by my hips by Jacob just in time or else my face would have hit the door knob. Then I saw Gabrella screaming like she was getting murdered yelling,” FIRE, FIRE FIRE, AND MORE FIRE. IT’S SPREADING EVERYWHERE!!!!!” Of course when she was screaming the guards near by went into room to investigate. They found no fire but Gabrella was still screaming her head off. Finally when I was released from Jacob I ran to her and tried to calm her down. But all she did was scream and scream and scream. Finally a guard picked her up and went down the stairs that led to the clinic. When she was out of sight I went into my room with Jacob closely behind me.

As I examined the room I saw no fire. I couldn’t even smell any scent of the flames anywhere. When I searched my room though I had an odd feeling that made my spine shiver. As I shivered I saw a purple glow on my vanity. For some reason Jacob didn’t see the thing I saw. It was a necklace that had a black chain, it also had elegant black spirals that surrounded the orb. The orb itself had a rich purple glow that seemed to glow stronger as I got closer to it. Before I touched the glow my hand was snached and flung backwords. When I looked up my mother was gripping my hand with eyes that held relief and scared eyes. I have never saw my mother show any kind of fear at all. Except there was a time when I was younger my mother locked so frightened when I was in her closet trying to find a dress. My mother immediately  pulled me out of the closet and into her arms. While my mind was thinking of her eyes she whispered with intense worriedness,” Are you ok?”

  “ Yes.”, I meekly said in a hushed tone.

“ Follow me.” she said in a hushed tone as she grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the door. While she was pulling me she quickly told Jacob,” You are now dismissed. Return to the guards quarters until further notice.”

When we were out the door she seemed to go faster now as if she was running. I was still being dragged by her so I had to run to keep her pace. We bolted up the stairs and into the elevator as if we were running away from something.

Finally when we entered the elevator I had enough courage to say,” What was that thing and why are we running away from it?”

She looked at me as her mind hide a secret from me. “  I’ll tell you once we are in my room.” she finally said breaking the silence. Once she told me that the elevator opened as if it was planned. My mother continued to pull me as if I was going to vanish if she’d let go of me. I noticed as we rushed down the stairs no one was in the hallways. But before I started thinking of what could have happened i was pushed into my mother’s room.