XXIII

Dani.

I rushed through the doors of St. Francis Hospital and went over to the desk.

"How may help you?" The woman asked.

"I'm Christopher Brown's wife and Trenton Neverson's sister. I was told that they were here."

She typed in their names.

My dad eventually joined me.

"They're both in trauma which is on the 5th floor. Take this elevator up and let the nurse know you're here for them."

We rushed over to the elevators.

I was shaking so bad. I don't need any bad news right now. I don't think my mind can take it.

Why didn't he just listen?! He could've been home with me, not laid up in the hospital.

When we got in the elevator my dad pulled me over to him and hugged me as tight as he could. I felt like I wanted to cry but I just couldn't. I cried the entire way here and I was all dried up. I just closed my eyes and prayed. That calmed me down a little bit.

Once the elevator stopped I started feeling sick to my stomach.

My dad grabbed my hand and we walked over to the front desk.

"Hi, my name is Dave Neverson and I'm here to see Christopher Brown and Trenton Neverson."

"Who are you to Christopher?" The receptionist asked.

"I'm his wife, that's his son in law." I answered. "Danielle Brown."

She nodded and started typing in the computer.

"Okay, they're both in recovery. If you don't mind waiting in the waiting room, i'll have their doctors come out and talk to you."

"Okay, thank you." My dad said before leading me over to the sitting area.

My leg just jumped and shook. I was so nervous. I started biting the polish off of my nails. I couldn't take it. My dad snatched my hand out of my mouth.

I looked at him like he was crazy.

"You know chewing on that polish is the last thing you should be doing and I need you to calm down. The last thing I need is for you to be stressed out and your blood pressure jumping sky high."

"I just need to know what happened to them. I can't take anymore bad news dad."

"Danielle, my son was just shot. I'm nervous too but I'm trying to remain strong and think positive. I know he's okay."

I took a deep breath and laid my head on my dad's shoulder.

I guess the baby decided to make me sleepy so that I could take my mind off of the craziness that's happening right now.

Sleeping has been my escape from a lot of things lately.

"Danielle, wake up."

My eyes fluttered open and two men were standing in front of me.

"These are Chris and Trent's doctors." My dad said.

I quickly sat up.

"How are they?" I asked.

"Well Christopher was hit twice in his arm. He was able to drive Trent here before he collapsed from losing a lot of blood. We got the bullets out. He's fine he should be released tomorrow."

"What about my son?" Dad asked.

"He was hit in chest and hip. He won't be released until we get his breathing where we want it. And wounds to the chest can become tricky so we want to keep a close eye on him." Trent's doctor said.