Chapter Seventeen ⚜ Unanimity

Začať od začiatku

It was Lord Dillian—with olive skin, cinnamon brown hair and forest-green eyes. Valeriana wasn't able to see him up close with all the chaos, but Keelan got his bearing—the same smile and eyes.

He quickly took his seat in front of the table, laid the napkin on his lap, and uncaringly plucked off a chicken leg—like Keelan always did. He grinned at Valeriana who hesitantly smiled back.

"I heard all about what happened in the Rosellevienne Palace," he said as he looked at Valeriana. "Feel free to do whatever you want in my continent. As long as it isn't anything illegal, I assure you, you have my support."

"Thank you, Your Highness."

"Oh yes. Eres will be coming with you. Since you're on your way to the Dirinian forest, it's imperative we check on the status on some of the villages—ask them how they're faring and all."

These people surely worked fast—not to mention responsibly and diligently. To have the future lord of the continent himself visit these villages? That was undeniably utter dedication right there. Although they have cases of corruption, it wasn't as prevalent as back on Earth.

"I'm really amazed," she blurted mindlessly. Dillian turned to her, his brows slowly squeezing together. "I mean—Earth can use a few tips. How is this world so . . . united? I mean. One king. The continents are big yet they all recognize one authority. And you guys . . ."

Dillian sighed. "It does seem that way, doesn't it?" he began. "But the unity of this world is due to one, important factor—the presence of a common enemy. The king ensures the safety of the people and it is through him that we stay intact—the barriers keep demons in place and from ravaging this world freely. Aside from that, he is recognized by the gods."

Valeriana paused from eating to listen. Dillian fed himself a spoon before continuing.

"But of course. Like any ordinary prison, some still manage to escape. And there is no shortage of new . . . convicts. The impact made by the Great War on Valemnia thousands of years ago has tied people together. We used to be plagued by countless wars before then. When the elements were granted, there were many battles to show superiority. I suppose you can say one of the positive results demons have had on this world is binding its people together. If it were not for them, Valemnia will not be the world you see today."

"The Great War was . . . that great?"

"In a way, yes. More than half the population died," Keelan cut in. "And people were driven to severe depression and desperation. The situation was bleaker and much worse than history books made it to be. So when King Friedel appeared as savior, bearing the ability to counter Valdis, his own twin brother, you should imagine how popular he was. During that time, he managed to unite the hearts of every continent, rallied people in a war that lasted a hundred tragic years."

"Fifty years back home," she muttered.

"When all of that was over, even though it wasn't exactly really that simple, he was crowned as king. He didn't want to, but the world needed a way to start over and get to their feet. He was the perfect symbol. He bore the utmost respect and admiration of the people," Dillian said. "Since it was too much work, five other members of the original Celestial Knights were implored to take the position of leader as well for the meanwhile. They then appointed leaders to assist them in the management of land, but they ended up sticking around to do the job until their descendants inherited everything—us."

Valeriana fell into deep thought. "I guess the history books didn't say everything."

While the history books offered a very objective point-of-view of the war, it sounded much more personal and heartfelt having to hear it come straight from the mouths of Lord Dillian and Keelan.

"I suppose this is what the demons are targeting now." Dillian shook his head. "You are aware of it, are you not? His Majesty?"

Valeriana looked at the Denovegasian lord and nodded. Keelan looked confused—whatever it was they were talking about—but didn't try to pry.

"Even though we don't really oppose the idea of regency, the royal family runs all of the barriers protecting important sites as well as the Dark Continent itself. That is why even though the king was not born as the True Heir, we didn't push for a competition. It is of utmost importance that King Bertram surpass these obstacles to his rule. Demons are trying to find a way to break apart the unity of Valemnia by targeting the figurehead. If the world is divided due to this, there is no telling what will happen."

"I doubt that will happen anyway," Keelan said. "With four thousand years of history, I'm pretty sure we're solid."

"You cannot say that, my son." Dillian shook his head. "We have shown loyalty to the royal family and strengthened bonds by intermarrying, but people are starting to lose faith—especially after the incident within the academy and the recent attacks."

"Is this why you're sending Lord Eres to check on these places?" Valeriana asked.

"Yes. We have to come in the name of the king," Dillian said. "This will sooth the trouble brewing in their hearts in the very least. There is no shortage of food with the availability of bountiful forests, but medical attention is very much needed as well as assistance to help repair the damages. We're starting to recover, especially with King Bertram restoring the strong foundations of the barriers and protective mechanisms around the world. As long as he stays strong and true, I'm sure it will prevent the stagnation of this world's unanimity. I just hope four thousand years is enough. The breaking off will be a hard transition and quite a daunting idea for many, so I'm sure it will not happen easily."

"I have faith in King Bertram," said Valeriana. "I may not have been here very long, but even if I have to stand on a podium and provide a day-long speech, I'll convince everyone to remain faithful. His Majesty doesn't have it any easy."

"Yes, yes." Lord Dillian nodded with a chuckle. "I'll thank you for that in advance. Although I love conversations like these, I prefer they remain back in my office. The atmosphere has become depressing!" He laughed. "Well, then, let's continue feasting!"