Chapter 37

"Hey." I squeaked back as I have a shy wave. 'What is wrong with me?! He's our mate for Pete's sake! Why am I so darn nervous all of a sudden? Pull your act together Mayla!!!' I scolded myself. I felt Liam's heated stare and blushed. "What?" I asked softly as I tried to hide an embarrassed smile from him. "Nothing, it's just that you're so beautiful when you blush." He whispered as he looked at me with an unfamiliar emotion in his eyes.

     'It's love you idiot!' A voice screamed in my head. I mentally rolled my eyes and told it to shut up. 'Did I ask you to boss me around? No, if I did then I'd get a husband!' It retorted. 'You know, you are very annoying, do you mind being quiet for a few minutes so that Liam doesn't think that we are insane?' I reasoned, trying to rid my annoyance of the voice. 'Sure, your majesty.' It retorted as I felt at peace once more.

    "Mayla." Liam called out as he waved a hand in front of my face. I blinked rapidly as I slowly came back to reality. "Hmm?" I answered as I looked up at him through my eyelashes tiredly. I heard him intake a breath as he grabbed my hand and led me towards my room. "Come here." He commanded as he set down my suitcase and found me some pajamas to wear. I took the clothing from him as he stood up and held them out to me. He gave me a quick kiss on my forehead and walked out of the room. I changed out of my street clothes and into my pajamas before I went to brush my teeth. Walking out of the bath room, I jumped into my new bed and dove under the covers, because who doesn't get excited to go to sleep? I felt my eyes close and my body relax. Before I knew it, I was drifting off to sleep. . . .

        "Please! Don't hurt them, it's me you want, not them!" I begged as I looked into Reese's haunting blue eyes. "What s the fun in that? If they suffer, you suffer." He replied as he stepped closer to my parents. "But Why? Why are you doing this? I don't understand." I whispered sadly as I watched his feet come to a halt. "Some things are meant to be said while others aren't. You will see how this will affect your future sooner or later. Which reminds me. . . ." He replied as he turned around swiftly and began walking towards me. I cowered in the corner, hoping that my thirteen year old body would conceal me from whom I thought was a friend. "Stop cowering like a lost little girl and stand like a woman. I don't understand how he wants me to give you this power if you don't deserve it. Look at you, weak and pathetic! How can you deserve this power and not I?" He growled out as I fought back my tears.

     He is steps slowed as he approached me. He grabbed my arm roughly and yanked me up from my position on the floor. My eyes were watering, making me unable to see what was in front of me. I felt his cold hands on my forehead and a burning sensation flow through my blood stream. Through my tears, a bright green light captivated me. Suddenly, a wave of extreme pain jabbed at my heart. I screamed as I clawed at my chest, trying to stop the pain. Reese sneered at me as he watched my suffering. When my eyes finally feared from my tears, I saw Reese walk up to my mother and father, a sinister grin painted on his olive-toned face. "Mom! Dad! No! Leave them alone! Leave them alone!" I screamed as I tried to move from my spot. I tried to move my feet with all of my strength but something kept me from saving my parents. My body sunk to the floor as I saw a fire burn in Reese's eyes before he wrapped his hands around my mother's neck and plunged a knife into her chest. My screams echoed around the room, pleading for my mother to come back, for this nightmare to end. I watched as Reese choked my father the same way he did my mother, and smiled at him. "Guess you couldn't be the hero this time, David. Now your daughter will live without you." He whispered as he tried to end my father's life. With the very little strength he had, my father lifted his head and looked me in the eyes. "I love you." Tears cascaded down my cheeks as a light erupted from his chest, causing Reese to jump backs nd release my father from his grip. The light turned into the form of a present moon and flew towards me. I felt it shatter the barrier around me and slam into my body forcefully.

      I watched as Reese's face turned from frightened to livid. "No!" He screamed as he turned toward my father and shoved the blade into his stomach and then his chest. I cried out as I felt the earth shake from beneath me. Scared, I watched as the earth formed a barrier around me, separating me from Reese. Reese cursed as he ran over to me and tried to break the barrier. When he realized that he couldn't get past it, he stepped back and looked at me evilly. "Soon." He hissed as he looked me in the eye and cackled. Anger coursed through my veins as I wanted him to die as my parents had. I felt my body shake as a boulder was lifted off of the ground. I watched as it made its way over to Reese's head and killed him instantly. My body shook in anger and sobs as realization settled in. My parents are dead and I had killed a man.

      "Mayla!" I heard Liam shout as I woke from my nightmare panting. I looked up and saw his head over mine, a worried expression etched on his face. I felt him grab my face as he leaned closer and looked into my eyes. "Are you okay? What happened?" He asked as he looked me over to make sure that I was alright. I heard a sob escape my mouth as I flung my arms around his neck and cried into his shoulder. He held onto me and whispered sweet nothing's into my ear. "Shh. Shh. It's okay. Everything is going to be okay. You're safe now. Shh." He whispered as he held me close, pressing my body against his. I felt myself calm down in his embrace as he held me like that for a few more minutes. "Mayla, you have to go back to sleep, I'm going to let go now." He soothed as he tried to let go off me. I dug my nails into the fabric of his shirt, not caring if he felt it through the thin fabric. "No, please don't leave me." I whispered softly as I refused to let go of him. "Stay with me, please." I begged as I felt him tense for a moment and then relax after my words. "I'll never leave you." He responded as he gently pulled my arms off of him and later down next to me, not getting under the covers. "Liam?" "Hmm?" He asked tiredly. "I like you." I told him sleepily as I saw him smile and wrap his arm around my waist and pull me towards his chest. "I like you too."  He told me as we both drifted off to sleep in each other's arms.