Chapter 30: The Truth

Tris paled three shades and the entire room screeched to a halt. 

"What? You chose string-bean Morgan ?"

My body tensed as the room gasps. Chase squeezed my hand, "Oh your just mad it wasn't you,"

Tris grabbed her bag and sped out of the room, but not before I caught her tearful eyes.

After ten minutes, I stood up to go. 

"Where are you going?" Chase asks, frowning.

"Bathroom." He narrowed his eyes at the me and nodded slightly.

It was as if he knew what I was about to do, dreaded it, yet couldn't stop me form going. Hmm.

I looked out into the vacant hall. If I were a scorned drama queen where would I hide?

I would hide were all the scorned try to conceal themselves...the bathroom.

Sure enough, I walked in an saw Tris by the sink, sobbing passionately into her hands. 

She whirled around at the sound of the door closing. 

"What do you want? Here to gloat about how the mighty have fallen?"

Her red eyes shocked me to the core; why was she so emotional about this.

Walking towards her, I asked her as much, not wanting to beat around the bush.

"What's it to you? You have everything; your popularity, smarts , Jordan, and now Chase. What possibly more could you need?"

"What did he do to you?"

"What the hell, I might as well give you the effing crown," She walked up to me slowly,  her red eyes making mine prickle.

"What ever it is, I'm sure its not that serious," I turn my back and begin to walk to the door.

"Not that serious? I''l give you not that serious."

"Last night I found out that I was adopted and that my mother who is not my mother and my father who is not my father have been lying to me all my life. My grades are sh*t  and don't forget how the Queen b*tch is now the school's favorite verbal garbage can."

"To top things off the boy I gave myself to, body and heart, has now officially dumped me for bigger, brighter pastures. Namely, you. Oh yes, and I'm late. Now look me in the eye and tell me that 'it's not that serious'. Look me in the eyes and reassure me  that I'm going to get pregnant. Look into my  eyes and promise me that every thing is g-going to be  f-f-fin--," She choked on a sob.

My heart stirred with pity for the poor girl. I mean I was so intent on helping out the little guys, that it never occurred to me that the big guys might need a little saving too.

"Hey," I said softly, "I know your probably hating everything around you and mostly yourself right now, but I'm not the bad guy."

"How?" She stood and wiped her face. 

"Firstly, me and Chase are not going out. We never have and never will be involved that way. I'm with Jordan. Second grades aren't permanent they can be fixed, also your parents obviously love you or they wouldn't have waited so long to tell you. And one night of inhibition doesn't always equal to a mini you. And even if you are, it doesn't mean that you wont lose the baby early on through natural causes. I'll talk to Chase for you."

"Why are you doing this? What good have I ever done for you?"

"It's called kindness, Tris. I know you might have a hard time believing it, but there's a  such thing as forgiveness and empathy. Maybe you should try it sometime."

Handing her a pack of Kleenex, I left  her in the bathroom holding a piece of tissue, shell-shocked.