nine

after leaving the football field and getting into my brother's car, i could finally take a good look at cody's face. he had a huge darkening bruise on the right side of his jaw. his lip was busted open and his nose was bleeding. a black eye was forming and his left eyebrow had a slight cut on it.

we parked at the side of the curb and i sighed in relief that my parents weren't home. they would freak if a bloodied up teenager was in their house. we all got out and entered the house. jack went and turned all the lights on while ethan brought me the first aid kit.

grayson and i sat cody down on the couch so he was sitting up and i thanked ethan for handing me the kit. i held cody's face in my hands and examined his face to see what i'd need. i shook my head at him and he gave me a questioning look.

"cody you shouldn't have done that. you should have just let him get at me," i said, disinfecting the cuts.

he didn't even flinch at the pain. he just sat there emotionless.

"yes i did. thalia, you couldn't expect me to just sit there and watch him hurt you did you? if you saw the look on your face then you'd help to. you looked terrified. i wasn't going to let him lay a finger on you," he concluded.

"but why help me? i know i ask this everytime we have a conversation about you helping me, but you didn't have to go through all this pain just to keep me safe," i said getting angrier at him, as i finished putting everything away.

"thalia, i've said this so many times! i was going to help you no matter what! you know what my brother told me. he told me if someone was in need of helped i needed to help them no matter what the cost! none of the "pain" you speak of was pain to me. none of theses punches and kicks hurt! understand that i am not ever going to leave you alone! i'm fixing this!" cody stood up and his voice grew louder.

i didn't mean to but, the next things i said were horrible.

"OH MY GOD CODY, I DIDN'T ASK FOR YOUR HELP! WHAT IF I DIDN'T WANT IT! I COULD HAVE JUST BROKEN UP WITH AIDAN AND LEFT IT AT THAT! HE MIGHT BUG ME BUT HE DOES THAT ANYWAY! I DIDN'T ASK FOR ANY OF THIS! I DIDN'T ASK YOU TO BE MY BOYFRIEND! SO WHY DON'T WE JUST FORGET IT NOW! I DON'T CARE IF YOUR BROTHER TOLD YOU ANYTHING! IT DIDN'T HAVE TO BE ME! I DON'T CARE WHAT HE SAID TO YOU! IT WAS IN THE PAST CODY, GET OVER IT!" i yelled at him.

i watched the emotion drain from his eyes. all his sense of composure was gone. he gave a big swallow. that's when the first lightning strike rang through the house and the rain started pouring.

fuck, why is it storming now?

"cody you can take the couch. we'll lend you some clothes," ethan coughed, awkwardly.

cody's face was blank. he looked to the ground and his body was stiff. my brothers looked at me like i just killed a puppy. cody looked up and started to walk over to me. i waited for a hit, but instead he got up in my face.

"don't you ever tell me to get over my brother's death. that's not going to happen. you try losing the only person who knew the real you. you want this rerlationship to be over and aidan to rape you then fine. end it now and save us all the trouble of wasting time with someone like me and i can stop wasting my time on you," with that cody left our house in the pouring rain.

"i can't believe i just said that," i said in disbelief.

i gave my brothers a look and bolted out the door. they shouted for me to come back but i kept running. i saw cody's figure in the darkness walking back towards his house, which was miles away.

i ran up to him and grabbed his wrist and spun him around. even if he hated me, i hugged him super tight. i didn't want the warmth to leave. he didn't hug back.