· Chapter Eighteen ·

Chapter Eighteen

Weeks had passed since the day the people of the kingdoms defeated the demon. The king and queen of Druyitch had told their people to leave the princess alone constant times so she could rest, but Maariya stopped them and allowed visitors.

Now, there was a knock on Maariya's door. She opened it and Kason stepped in, wearing a crisp black suit and carrying a shining sword. He looked Maariya up and down, nodding at her lacey black dress. "You look nice," he said quietly.

"Thank you." She pulled him into a hug. When they pulled away, Kason placed a hand on her back and led her out into the hallway, down the stairs, and out into the blinding sunset.

The sky was painted lovely hues of pink, orange, and red, and the beauty of the scene relaxed Maariya.

Down a small hill was a wooden coffin that held Yacoub's body. Maariya blinked back tears and curtseyed for the audience, where all three kingdoms were gathered. Everyone was dressed in shades of grey and black, and nobody looked happy.

Standing by the coffin, Maariya could see King Jarawyn of Frwen. He gave her a businesslike nod, and she bobbed her head back, taking her place beside him. Her hand never left Kason's.

There was no sign of Queen Issabel at her own son's funeral.

Queen Perchiny raised her hands, silencing the faint whispers that breezed through the crowd. "Thank you all for coming to honor a great and noble man," she said. "I never knew him well, but he was a very close friend of my daughter's. He was good to her. What happened to him was a shame." The queen pulled a single white daisy out of the vase beside the coffin and laid it on top of the wood. She took a step back, allowing Yacoub's father to speak.

Jarawyn cleared his throat. "Yacoub always showed promise. He was a brave soldier and a kind friend. Anyone he chose to spend time with was worthy of his company, and you," he gestured to Maariya, "treated him well. Thank you." Maariya glanced over at the man, deeply touched when she saw the tears glistening in his eyes.

Jarawyn set a peony on his son's coffin.

Maariya scanned the audience, met with grim faces and no trace of smiles. She took a deep breath. "I...I just want to apologize to all of you." She turned to face the spot where Yacoub's body lay. "Especially you, Yacoub. I never wanted to kill you.

"You never deserved this fate. But I like to think that I helped you, in those last seconds..."

Maariya sniffed, allowing a tear to roll down her cheek.

"I like to think that I put you out of your misery."

She picked up a bright red rose and clutched it in her hand, allowing the thorns to dig into the flesh of her palm.

"You were kind, and brave, and strong, and fearless. I will never forget your laugh, or your smile, or the way your eyes danced when you looked at me."

More tears fell.

She set the rose down carefully, buried her face in Kason's chest, and sobbed.

Her mother placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Why don't you go inside until the celebration later?" she murmured in her daughter's ear. The princess nodded, and Kason steered her inside.

"You really loved him, didn't you?" Kason asked gently.

Maariya nodded. "Y-yes. Not the same way I love you, but..." Her voice shook. "Yes. I love him. Very much." She wiped at her eyes.

When they reached her bedroom, Kason didn't follow her inside. "You really need to sleep, Maariya," he urged her. "And you need quiet."

"No. I can't be alone now," Maariya argued. "Come with me."

Kason gave in to her when he saw the tears.

···

Maariya stirred in Kason's arms. "Should we go?" she whispered, her eyes still closed.

"Yes." He pulled the sheets back and helped her stand up. "Why don't you change? I'll wait outside."

"Okay." There were no more tears left, and her throat and eyes were dry.

When Kason left, Maariya put on a long emerald gown and dangling gold earrings. She put her hair up in a braided hairstyle and sighed as she looked in the mirror. "I'm a murderer," she said to herself. She wiped her eyes. "But it's not my fault. It was best for him."

As she left the room and headed to the ballroom, that became her mantra. "It was best for him," she said under her breath.

"What was that?" Kason asked.

She shook her head. "Nothing."

It was best for him.

···

Chapter Eighteen of Everland by MaraudersPotterhead

Published at 5:47 pm on December 5th

783 words

Don't forget to vote!

Thanks for reading!

Where do you think Issabel is?

That funeral :(

Hope you enjoyed!