Chapter 24 - I'm Fine

Start from the beginning

The police arrive to make sure that we're okay and to give us an update. They looked at the video recording from the furniture store and those guys will be charged with assault. The police told us that they were talking about pressing charges against me for kicking their asses, but was told that due to the video and the bruises on both of us, it will be construed as self-defense, so no charges will be filed against me. We thank them before they leave.

My guys order Chinese, and we laze around and look at television all afternoon. We're about to decide what to do for dinner when the doorbell rings. Cameron goes and answers it, coming back into the living room with campus police following him, holding a box.

They hand me the box and the first one says, "We searched the rooms of the two girls that you saw wearing a couple of your things and we found everything that was on your list and quite a few things that other people were missing also. They have been expelled and will not be back. They are actually about to do jail time for shoplifting. I heard that you helped with that also. Congratulations."

"Thanks," I take the offered box. They tell us to have a good evening and leave after we all thank them.

I look inside and pull out all of the things that they brought to me. Of course my headband and bracelet. I go to throw them away when Ronnie takes them from me.

"Where did you get these from?" She asks.

"I made them."

Her eyes get wide, "You did these? They are great! You should make them and sell them at the campus book store. I'll go over there with you tomorrow and see if they want to order some from you."

I shrug, "Okay." What's the worst that can happen? They'll say no and I'll be back to where I started work-wise.

She helps me decide on a price point after finding out where I got the items to make them. She then decides that we need to go to the dollar store afterwards and get more items to make them both. Cameron immediately decides that he's coming with us. I don't argue, because to be honest, I don't feel safe after what happened today.

We go through the rest of my box and I end up throwing away everything. It just doesn't feel like it's mine anymore. The guys quietly understand and Dylan takes out the trash after I put everything into it.

Rand orders dinner at a nearby seafood restaurant and goes to pick it up. When he comes back, we pick a movie and decide to eat in front of the television while eating it.

I've been yawning since I got out of the bathtub and I can hardly keep my eyes open after eating dinner and watching the movie. Even though it's only eight p.m., Rand carries me upstairs again and puts me into bed, climbing in with me. I fall asleep, my face tucked into his neck.

Dylan

I watch Rand carry Frankie upstairs to her room for the second time today. I'm about to follow right behind them but I look over at Ronnie. She seems to be in silent contemplation.

"Are you okay?" I reach over and touch her bruised cheek softly.

"I'm fine. I'm just upset that I didn't do more to help Frankie. All I did was call the police when she started beating on those guys. I could have done more."

"Like what?" Cameron asks.

"I don't know. Maybe helped her some kind of way. I could have fought back more," she says quietly.

I move my hand to the top of her head moving my hand down and tucking her hair behind her ear, "Ronnie, from what I heard from you and the police, there was nothing you could do to help her take them down. You did the right thing by calling the police. How would you have stopped her otherwise? We're just glad that both of you made it out safely."

Cameron agrees, "You did the best thing that you could have. Don't beat yourself up over it."

She sighs, "I'm going to take self-defense classes when I get back so I can help if it happens again."

"Do you really think that Frankie can sell those headbands and bracelets?" I ask.

"Definitely. I've seen headbands that don't look half as nice as those, selling for twice our asking price. If the school store doesn't buy them, I'm going to take them to a friend of mine who owns a chain of stores and give her a chance to buy some. I know that she will, she's always looking for the new thing," Ronnie gets excited just talking about it.

As she continues to talk about it, I get excited also. If she starts to make enough money, then she can quit the library. Even though we're there to pick her up when she gets off from work, I don't really like her working there.

After Ronnie goes up to bed, Cameron and I go up and get in the big bed with our girl. It'll be awhile before we will all be able to sleep without her.