Chapter 1

~ Kaden ~

~ Kaden ~

I instantly sat up in bed when a high-pitched scream peirced my ears in the middle of the night.

Pine Heights was one of the quiet towns in California, well-known for its mountain forest landscape. It only has a population of about two thousand.

The tranquil silence, the songs the nature sing, comforted everyone at night. This night was an exception.

Startled by the noise, I got up to see what happened. My heart beat out of my chest as I walked down the hallway at a snail's pace. I almost leaped when someone patted my upper bac

"Easy, bro. It's just me. You're not scared, are ya?" I sighed relief when I realized it was just my twin brother who probably heard the noise, too.

I walked down the stairs followed by my twin, Hunter. Although the tension was eased up a bit learning that I had company, my heart still pounded faster than normal.

"That better has a good reason." Hunter muttered. Annoyance was all I could sense from the tone of his voice. No hint of fear. Typical Hunter.

"Yeah, it better." my dad who just exited their bedroom agreed.

But whatever it was, I knew it wasn't good.

Carefully, I took a peek outside through the windows.

I breathed deeply as I took in the view. I held the curtain tight, my heart hammering against my chest. A lump formed in my throat. I tried to choke back the fear that was slowly consuming me.

"Come on, it's safe." Hunter declared, once again startling me. He headed out of the house with my dad. I quickly followed.

The people gathered round a tree.

A siren blared not far away from where we were. Someone must've reported the incident promptly or the scream was just too loud for this still night, even the police a few blocks away heard it. I thought.