"Here's the thing," he said. "Charlie promised my grandparents that he'd bring this little shit-" he points at me "-back where she belongs. He asked for help, so my brother Alec offered himself to bring her back. We did not know his original plan was to kill her instead. It so much happens to be that one of the idiots that were in the car with her that night was my brother and he died when that car exploded."

I look at James, who looks back at me for half a second before looking back at Laurent.

"So what do you want?" He asked.

"I want you to bring me Charlie Swan so I can kill him."

"How the hell are we supposed to do that?" I groaned. "He isn't on my speed dial."

"He's looking for you," he replied. "If you put yourself out there, he'll come after you."

"Too bad," I replied. "Because we aren't doing shit for you."

He chuckled. "You don't have a choice. Bring Charlie to me and you'll be free. Isn't that what you want? A life free of Charlie? You could live with your little girl and that cute guy happily ever after, without having to worry he'll be after you. I'll end it for you."

I shake my head. I can't do that, it'll put everyone in danger. It'll put Irina, James, Edward, his family, even Mia in danger. It'll put me in greater danger than what I already am.

"I'm not going to do it," I groan. "Even if I wanted to, it'll put everyone's life in danger. I can't risk that. You have to understand."

He nodded, pressing his lips together and turned away from us. I frown, looking at his back as he just stood there with his hands in his pockets and smoking off his cigarette. He stayed like that for what seemed almost an eternity in silence. No one said a thing, neither of the two men that came with him and stood against their car or James and I. James remained with his arms around me, giving me support.

"An eye for an eye," Laurent murmured loud enough for us to hear but he still didn't move. "An eye for an eye."

James covers my mouth before I can say anything. He turns my head toward him and cups my face between his hands. I can't explain the look on his face, he looked nervous but at the same time he looked... In peace. He gave me a small smile and pulled my hair from my face.

"I want you to run," he whispered, low enough for only me to hear him. I give him a confused look. We're surrendered by them, how are we supposed to run. He places a finger on my lips. "Run, okay? As fast as you can, don't stop." He paused and smile even more widely. "You're going to be okay. You're going to be-"

Bang!

My body jumps at the loud bang and I close my eyes when something warm is splattered all over my face. When I open my eyes, my entire body goes rigid when I see the blood coming out of James temple. His hands fall from my face and his body drops on the floor right next to me. I can't breathe, my body can't move. I just sit there, my shoulders up to my ears and my eyes flooded with tears.

I look down at his limb body as I shake uncontrollably. Laurent kneels beside me, his hot breath makes the skin on my neck crawl and his touch gives me shocks.

"An eye for an eye," he whispered in my ear. "Now that's for my brother. The next one will be for the delay on bringing me Charlie. It could be Edward, it could be his father, it could be anyone." I look at him, still shaking. "You still don't get it, don't you? It doesn't matter who you try to protect, they're all in danger anyway. If not from Charlie, then from me and since I can't touch a single hair of yours-" he grips my hair in his fist, making me cry in pain. "Then I might as well kill anyone you care about. Am I clear?"

I nod, biting my lip as I grip his hand.

"Am I clear?!" He roared in my ear, yanking my hair.

"Yes!" I cry out loud. "Yes, you were clear!"

He smiled. "That's much like it. I'll see you soon." He grabs me by the chin and places a kiss on my cheek. The simple act makes me want to gag. "Remember, an eye for an eye and it could be anyone."

He stands up and motions his men to get in the car. The car roars to life and speeds away so fast, they're far from here in less than a second and I'm left in total darkness. That's when I let it all out. All the breath I was holding in, all the sobs, everything. I start crying out loud, hyperventilating as I look at James dead body.

I crawl to him and lay my head on his chest. There's no heartbeat. He really is gone. He's gone and it's all my fault.

"I'm sorry!" I cry to him. "I'm so sorry, James! Please, please forgive me! I'm so sorry! I'm sorry!"

It all just became so much. I couldn't handle it. My heartbeat was going so hard, my chest hurt. My head ached and spined at the same time. I couldn't breathe, it was too much for me. I laid there on his body, holding on for dear life as I felt myself finally drifting off into darkness.

Author's Note:

James is dead 😭😭😭

Vote!

Comment!

~Joan0324