Chapter 39

Bella's P.O.V

I smiled at Mia as she squealed in joy when her Elmo toy that Edward got her danced around on the floor. She would stand on her little feet and move her hips from side to side, imitating the sounds that came from him and clap whenever he said to clap.

The moment is taken from me when I see Lilly walk in with two cups of coffee in hand. She offers me one and sits across from me on the couch and smiles at Mia as she continues to dance. I look back at Mia but no longer can find joy in her actions. I pretend to take a sip from my coffee and smile at Lilly.

"So, have you heard anything from your father?" She asked.

"Not since he tried to lure me to my death," I simply said. "After that, all I knew was that he was looking for me."

"Must be very horrible," she commented before taking a drink from her coffee. "My father didn't want to do anything with me, yours wants you dead. Some world we live in, huh?"

I swallow. "I guess, yeah."

I don't like this feeling, I despise it because I know there is no reason I should feel this way but it's there and it's there, there is a reason behind it. She's been asking too many questions about Charlie, about me, about what I did while I was gone. While I might understand she might be curious to know, there something in her eyes that always catch my attention. She's nervous. I wish I'm being paranoid and making things up, I don't want to ruin anything she has with Edward.

I place the cup down and simply just look at it. Last time she made me coffee, it tasted pretty funky and a few hours later I found myself throwing up nonstop. She said the coffee was probably overdue but when does coffee overdue itself? After that, I just pretend to drink her coffee and dump it once she leaves. And the way she looks at Mia, that look mixed with both sorrow and hate. I try my best to keep her away from Mia.

"Are you hungry?" She asked me, taking me out of my thoughts. 

"No, thank you," I smile at her. "I'll just take Mia to take a bath."

"Oh, I'll take her."

"No need!" I said a bit too loud. She gave me a confused look but backed out. "Sorry, I'm a bit protective when it comes to Mia."

She stood up. "Don't worry. You got to feel useful some way or another, right?"

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, don't mind me. I guess since my brother is always busy at work and James is too busy trying to find a way to keep you alive, it must be really hard sitting around doing nothing like a damsel in distress."

I stand up. "And that's because you work, am I right?"

She shrugged. "My job right now is to look after you in case you suddenly die and leave Mia next to a corpse."

Now, I was getting pissed. "I don't need someone looking after me, I've been on my own for six years. I think I can manage."

"And look at where that's got you?" She chuckled. "Your body is rotting by the minute, you only have a few weeks until the medicine you were given stops working and you have no other choice but to lay in your deathbed. But until that happens you'll just sit here watching that baby dance to Elmo."

I glare at her as she walks back into the kitchen. I grab the cup of coffee she poured me and dump it on the plant Edward haves here. She's looking at me when I look up, but I don't care. I give her a shrug before placing the cup on the table and take Mia in my arms.

"Let's go take a bath," I tell Mia as we walk away and lock the door behind me.

* * *

"Okay, I'll see you later," I heard Edward say before the front door closed. "Bella, I'm home!"