Birthdays (Gene x Reader)

Birthdays were never Gene's top priority.

His wasn't, at least.

He'd never forgotten Dante's birthday. He'd never forgotten his mother's birthday, either. But low and behold when his birthday rolled around, he himself had forgotten it. It just didn't seem important anymore. 

When he awoke that Irene-forsaken morning, he found a note next to his cereal bowl from his mother.

Happy Birthday, Sweetheart.

The confused boy stared at it until it finally clicked. Letting out a long sigh, he stuffed the note into his backpack as he finished off his cereal. He then threw his backpack over his shoulder and turned to the stairs to complete his morning ritual.

"DANTE! IT'S TIME TO GO!"

There was a groan in response and a few seconds later, a very tired blue-haired boy dragged himself down the stair.

"Come on, we're gonna be late," Gene motioned to the clock.

Dante simply grumbled in response and followed suit, grabbing his abandoned backpack on the way out. The older brother knew that Dante had forgotten his birthday, and personally, he didn't care.

He didn't need Dante to remember anyway.

Once they arrived at school, the two split off into their separate groups. Dante to his friends and Gene to the Shadow Knights. Sasha and Zenix were participating in their routine morning argument, something about cats. The two simply gave him a quick greeting before returning back to their debate. Clearly, they had forgotten as well.

Gene glanced down the hallway to see a familiar face. Y/N. She glanced up when she felt someone's eyes on her and saw him. She gave him a big smile and a wave. He smiled and waved back, but the smile didn't quite meet his eyes.

The bell rang, signaling the students it was time to go to homeroom. Gene hurried to stuff everything into his locker and hurry to class. Why not show up on time, it wasn't like he had anything else to do.

But as he hurried off, a stray note fell from the locker. A stray note that had been his only birthday card that day.

And someone picked it up.

Gene's day had simply gotten worse from the beginning. He had actually shown up to all of his classes that day, but he was simply reprimanded and homework was pounded onto him. Lunch was lonely since Sasha and Zenix had skipped school and left earlier that morning. And finally, it was pouring rain outside and he had no ride home. 

His lucky brother had ditched him and got a ride with Garroth Ro'Meave. But since pretty much everyone in Phoenix Drop High either hated him or feared him, Gene was left to soon trudge home in the rain.

The school was empty except for the few students hoping to wait out the storm. He dragged himself back to his locker to pack up, letting out what must have been the fiftieth long sigh that day. Everything sucked and everyone hated him. He hated himself. 

Irene, why was today so bad?

It wasn't because only his mother had remembered the day he was born. Of course she did, she gave birth to him. He didn't care if anyone remembered or not.

Did he?

Turning the corner, he finally reached his locker to see someone slip around the corner on the far side of the hallway. That was odd. He just shook it off and turned back to his locker, twisting on the combination.

Just as he flung open his locker, a folded piece of paper slipped out. He reached down to pick it up and unfolded it, curious.

Happy Birthday, Gene.

Sincerely, Y/N

His lips turned up in a smile as he ran his hand over the carefully drawn picture of a girl and a guy smiling that looked very familiar.

Someone remembered.

____________________________

Sometimes it's nice to know someone remembered you, even when you forgot yourself.

and

GUESS WHO SPELLED SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

HA TAKE THAT 

MY ENGLISH TEACHER WOULD BE SO PROUD

update: My English teacher would not be proud. I spelt English wrong and had to go back and fix it before updating this.

another update: 'spelt' is not a word.

I think I can hear my English teacher sobbing in the distance. 

Anyways, sorry this didn't have much interaction. I just liked the idea.