Mindset (Aphmau x Laurence)

The world had deemed her too good.

She was simply too good for the world, too good for society, and too good for him. At least, that's what he thought.

One might call her a mystery, lost in a dream that only she could imagine. The world kept moving around her as she blew past them all. One minute she was there, the next she was gone, lost in her own thoughts.

He had watched her from afar. His brown eyes followed her as she flew by, a smile dancing in her face. She was there only long enough to be acknowledged, and then she was off again. He could only watch. He never was fast enough.

So she dreamed through life as he watched in curiosity. Never had he seen one do life how she did. She could turn the darkest of nightmares into a laughing matter, transform a tear into a smile. He was enthralled. Only her, he'd think, Only her.

But one day, she came to a halt.

Gone was the smile he now lived to see. Gone was the laughter he loved to hear. Gone was her bright and happy aura.

And replacing it was tears.

He'd found her behind the bleachers after soccer practice. All his teammates had gone home and he was left to gather the equipment and clean up. After putting everything up, he'd headed off the field.

That's when he heard the crying.

The sound was so heart-breaking he stopped in his tracks, turning back to see a dark figure huddled under the bleachers. The sobs sounded familiar, like a distant memory back to haunt him once again. He made his way to the figure and crouched down to its height.

It was her.

"What's wrong?" He whispered.

"Everything," She choked out.

All it took was an hour. An hour of hushed secrets, trials and troubles. She whispered to him about her father, how he was gone, and how he wasn't coming back.

He whispered to her about how a loved one's soul never left, it was always there with them. He whispered to her about his brother's soul, how it still guided him although he was gone.

All it took was an hour.

The next day, she was back to herself. But that didn't mean she didn't need him. Or rather, wanted to be with them. Those whispered troubles turned into talking and even shared laughter. He smiled a little brighter every time he saw her.

All it took was a few years.

After high school and then college, he got down on one knee and watched her smile the brightest she ever had.

And a few years later, their child would be smiling just as bright as them.