If The Shoe Fits (Garroth x Cadenza) Part 1

"CADENZA!"

Cadenza rushed downstairs to her stepsister's rooms, carrying a mountain of dresses. She nearly tripped on the last step, but caught herself just in time. She straightened up, and walked into her sisters room with a fake smile plastered to her face.

"How can I help you, Ivy, Lily?"

"Where's my pink gown?!" Ivy screeched.

Cadenza pulled her pink gown from the stack of dresses she was carrying. Smoothing out the wrinkles, she handed it to Ivy. Ivy held it up in front of her, turning side to side. She made clucking sounds of disapproval, then threw in back on to the pile of dresses. Cadenza caught it just in time.

Ivy snapped at Cadenza. "Get me the other pink one."

Lily shot a sympathetic look at her as she left. She smiled sadly back.

Lily was the youngest, and the kindest. And most likely the only one with a heart not made of stone. She always snuck extra food to Cadenza, and they talked and chatted until the early hours of the morning.

But they had become of age to find a husband. The only male family member was Cadenza's brother, Laurence, since her father had died shortly marrying her stepmother. He was the Crown Prince's best friend and adviser, and he was hardly ever home. In result, the need for the girls to be married was more desperate.

So when Cadenza's stepmother had received an invitation to a royal masquerade ball being held in order for the Crown Prince to find a wife, she had jumped at the chance.

Cadenza's family had been good friends with the royal family. As a child, Cadenza and Laurence had played with the Crown Prince, Garroth, often. As they grew up, Cadenza found herself start to fall in love with him. Cadenza wasn't sure if he felt the same way, but she knew it didn't matter once her parent's died. She no longer saw Garroth, and Laurence had said he was quite busy whenever he bothered to write back to Cadenza. Cadenza had begged and begged to go, and finally, her stepmother agreed. Under one condition.

She was to complete a long list of chores and have a dress appropriate for the ball.

Cadenza had finally completed the list, but her dress was only partially finished.

She had wanted to finish it quickly that evening, but her stepmother insisted that she helped her sister's prepare for the ball. Ivy had been more than happy to make her job even more difficult, by screaming for her to get more dresses, or "hem this", "fix that."

Cadenza rummaged through Ivy's closet, pulling out another pink dress. She turned and rushed back into the dressing room. She handed the dress to Ivy, not even trying to conceal the exasperated look on her face. Ivy glanced at the clock and sighed.

"It'll have to do." She huffed.

She disappeared behind the changing screen and Cadenza let out a sigh of relief. She heard Lily sigh, too and turned to her.

"I'm so sorry, Enza." Lily said. "I should try harder to-"

"Its okay, Lily." Cadenza smiled softly at her. "What else is wrong?"

Lily looked at her, her eyes filled with tears, and her cheeks wet.

Cadenza gasped and brought out a handkerchief, handing it to Lily and rubbing her on the back.

Lily sobbed into her handkerchief. "I d-don't want to marry some rich man w-who I'm not in love with."

Cadenza nodded, still rubbing her on the back. "You want to be with Aaron, right?"

Lily nodded, and blew her nose into her handkerchief. "I'm sorry, I k-know it's s-selfish to cry about s-such a thing, especially since y-yo-"

"Lily, say no such things!" Cadenza scolded her gently. "It's not selfish, I understand. And," She stood up, pointing a finger into the air, "I promise I shall do anything and everything in my power to make sure you end up with him."