Chapter 52: The Moment of Truth

Start from the beginning

Heather brought out the food and set it on the table. Before everybody was allowed to dig in, Heather said a little prayer, thanking God for the food that was on the table and for having such wonderful company for dinner that day.

They ate lunch and they talked. When they finished up, they went to sit in the living room and talked more. Before they knew it, it was about 3pm. There was so much that needed to be said. There was much appreciation between all of them.

At exactly 3:30, Landon and Lauren announced that it was time to leave. They had things to do and well, they didn't want to stay there any longer than they should have stayed. Landon was so polite when he left.

"Thank you, Heather. For everything." he said to her.

"Of course," Heather answered. And then she added in a whisper, "And take care of that young girl, too."

Landon smiled and turned toward her voice. "Don't worry, ma'am. I definitely will."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Landon and Lauren were walking back towards their house. Lauren couldn't stop thinking about the way that Ray addressed his dad.

Landon, sensing that there was something wrong, asked her, "What's bothering you?"

Lauren smiled, hating and loving how he knew her so well. "I just can't stop thinking about the fact that Ray calls his dad 'Father.'"

"Well, they don't have a great relationship and that's understandable, but you know that we all have our share of troubles. Hopefully, they will be more like a family like they were before. Ray's dad had a normal job, but when he got a raise, the job changed as well and then the whole lifestyle changed. It sucks. It makes me angry to know that they don't have the best relationship. But Heather, she's a sweetheart. She's like a second mother to me."

Lauren nodded. "I can't believe that this makes you angry. I mean, you're never angry. I have never seen you yell or even run out on people before."

"I'm just a human like one hundred percent of the population."

Lauren laughed at his comment. She felt like everything was going to be okay when she was with him. He made her forget about all the things that happened, especially with her mom and the fact that her brother was now living with their parents, too. Things do happen faster than one can manage them to happen. It was like the whole world is coming down against her, just acting together to make her life miserable.

They walked home in silence after that. When Landon took a detour, Lauren was surprised.

"Where are we going, Landon?" she asked him.

"Just a little detour." he answered.

They headed to the park. Lauren was so confused. There was nothing that was going on today. She knew this for a fact. She looked up at Landon and what she saw confused her a lot more than she already was. He was nervous. There was no doubt in her mind that he was nervous. Out of all the things he could have been, Landon was nervous, and that made no sense.

Once they were in the same place that they had gone so many times before, Landon stopped. And he did his best to face Lauren. Lauren followed his every move. There was something really weird about him today. And she could have sworn that he was nervous...and maybe, even, scared.

"Are you okay?" Lauren asked Landon.

Landon turned completely in the direction of Lauren. And he said, "Everything is fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, ma'am. Everything is fine."

"Then why are you so different."