Chapter 38: The Weekend

Landon and Lauren planned to go to the park to run together the next morning. Lauren was up first and she went to knock on Laura's door.

Landon opened the door.

"Ready to go?" Lauren asked.

"Yeah, but I have to do something first." he said. "But come in. I need your help for something."

Lauren stepped inside the house for the hundredth time. There was a great comfort that overcame her in the house.

"Okay,"Landon started, "I need you to help me leave my mom a note so that she doesn't freak out."

"Okay," she said.

Landon took out a piece of paper and a pen.

"So what do you want me to do?" she asked him.

"I just need you to make sure that I follow the line on the paper and to tell me how much to move my hand over so that I have enough space between words."

"Okay."

With that, Landon began to write his note waiting until Lauren told him it was okay. When he finished writing the note, Landon left it on the refrigerator, holding it in place with a smiley shaped magnet.

"Okay," he turned to where he had previously heard Lauren's voice. "Let's go."

Lauren walked behind Landon, and when they got to the door, Landon opened it for Lauren to go first. She whispered a thank you as she passed by. When he was sure that he had given her enough time to pass, Landon closed the door behind him.

Lauren waited for him and they walked around the park as their warm up. Then the second lap was their run. Lauren grabbed Landon's hand. "That way we won't lose each other."

Landon nodded. They both ignored the sparks that shot through their arms and the warmth that dispersed throughout their body.

They continued running around the park for another ten laps. After that, Lauren led Landon towards the sidewalk so that they could run around the neighborhood.

Landon was thinking about how great running with Lauren was. I need to do this more often, he thought.

Everything felt right for him. For once in a while, Landon forgot that he was blind. It was something that he was grateful for. He was grateful that Lauren made him feel like he wasn't blind. It made him feel like he was four again, when he could actually see.

These moments with Lauren were ones that he cherished deeply. Of course, Lauren could never take the place of his brother or his mother but she was the one that always made everything a little better, not that his mother and brother couldn't. But Landon's mother and brother couldn't always be there. Lance had work and Laura was busy doing her own thing. Landon knew that Lauren could be there for him, after all, it was what she was doing now.

"You feeling okay?" Lauren asked Landon.

Landon nodded. "Yes, ma'am. I am absolutely fine."

"Good."

They continued on their run, taking it one step at a time, when all of a sudden out of nowhere there was a scream. It was a scream that was begging for help and they both instantly knew it was a male. Landon and Lauren picked up the pace. Lauren made sure that Landon was okay with the pace she was going at. She didn't want him to fall and hurt himself, but as she picked up the pace more and more she found that Landon was keeping up with the pace.

It seemed like an eternity before they came to the screaming male and Lauren immediately saw that there were about six guys kicking and punching the guy, who was on the floor.