Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 21

Start from the beginning

I paused at a painting I hadn't seen before. It was of a child sitting in a darkened corner of a room with his head tucked between his legs. There was a man looming over the boy putting an even darker shadow over him. I frowned at the image. It was as if I could feel the pain piercing at my heart.

"This is one of my paintings. It was an assignment for college. The challenge was 'misunderstood'. I think I captured it rather well." Heather said.

I turned to look at her. "Only someone who'd been through that could explain it like that."

Heather cleared her throat and looked away. "Your rooms are this way."

I watched as she walked away with my eyes narrowed. Eleanor came up to me and nudged my shoulder. "Evelyn, stop it. You're riling her up. She opened her home to us. The least you can do is appreciate it."

I pulled my face at her and followed Heather's trail to the end of the hallway. There were four rooms on this end of the hallway with another three on the opposite end. I stepped into the one closest to me and the first thing I noticed was how bright it was. There were again paintings on the walls and a neatly made queen-sized bed. There was a small desk in front of the window and an empty bookshelf along the side of the wall.

"I can have the paintings removed if you don't like it. All of the rooms are set up the same. I didn't know what you would like so I decided to wait till you came so you could decide." Heather said. "Your sister and brothers' rooms are any of those three."

I walked back out and stepped into a similar room. "I think it would be better if Nick and Mark shared a bedroom. They can hardly sleep without the other present."

I could see the social worker writing notes down in her notepad.

"Do you like the house so far?" Ms. Norman asked.

"Yes, it's very comforting." Eleanor answered. "Do I really get my own room?"

"Yes, have you never had you own room before?" Heather asked.

"I had to give it up when Nick was born." She said. "But I didn't mind. This is so cool! It's very big too."

I smiled as Eleanor walked around the room. I sat down on the bed-her bed- and watched my siblings light up like Christmas trees.

"Thank you, Heather." She seemed shocked in my tone but she soon smiled and nodded in acknowledgement.

"You're welcome, Evelyn."

After the bedrooms. we were shown where we'd eat, the garden and the library where we could study if we wanted to. The more we were shown, the more fascinated I become with living here. The house seemed to be something that came light out of a fairytale.

Ms. Norman left as soon as we got our stuff into our rooms. We didn't have much so it was pretty easy to get settled in.

I called Travis later that night while Heather and the others were downstairs watching TV.

"Hey, Evelyn, how did it go?" He asked as soon as he picked up.

"Good." I answered. "Her house is amazing."

"And her?" I could sense the worry in his voice.

"Heather seems nice. I haven't gotten any bad vibes from her. She's nothing like Harold...or mom." I persuaded.

"I would need to see it to believe it."

"I know but trust me on this." I looked to the door when Nick and Mark's laughter travelled up the stairs. "I think we should at least give her a chance."