Chapter 4

It had been a week since that night at my house when Vic broke down and it also happened to be the first day of Vic going to school since the accident.

He had wanted to go back to school right away, but the school refused to let him back because Vic "needed the proper time to mourn."

"Come on Kells," he begged from my bed,"Let's go. I have a severe case of cabin fever and I need to go."

I laughed a little and grabbed my backpack,"Fine. Let's go."

Before the accident, Vic and Mike would come to my house every morning to pick me up in Vic's car, but today, Vic walked.

I could understand his refusal to go in a car.

Hell, I had been the same way.

Every time I got in the car, my heart would beat rapidly and my head would hurt.

It got to the point where I just walked everywhere unless driving was necessary.

As we walked on the sidewalk, people began to stare at Vic.

He pretended not to notice, but I was pretty sure he did. I know I did. 

"Do you know why they're staring at you?"

"Probably something to do with Mike. It's been happening a lot," he replied without any emotion.

Over the last week, I had noticed that Vic had become a lot more distant.

He would stare out into the distance a lot more than average, trail off in conversations, and sometimes, just drop a subject completely.

"We can take you back home if-" I started, but Vic cut me off.

"No. I'm going to school."

I nodded and pretty soon, I could see the large brick building a little ways ahead.

I was pretty lucky to have first, second, sixth, and ninth period with my best friend. It made it so I could come to school with him, eat lunch with him, and then leave with him.

It was just perfect.

"You know, maybe we should skip first," Vic suggested.

I rolled my eyes,"You love gym."

He sighed,"Fine. And I do not. I just like to be fit. Unlike you, who literally spends all his time on Netflix."

I laughed,"It's a hobby."

"It's lazy."

"It actually takes a lot of work to find something to watch."

"Yeah yeah. Go change."

In little to no time, Vic and I were out on the gym floor, stretching and awaiting today's instructions in our stupid maroon and yellow uniforms.

When I looked over at Vic, I noticed he was wearing a shit load of bracelets.

"Damn, I haven't seen that many bracelets since-"

Suddenly, realization struck me and I sat frozen.

"Come on Kells," Vic said as if nothing was wrong,"Let's do laps before coach gets pissed."

"You-"

"Let's go," he persisted.

After the moment of realization, the day went by in a flash.

Vic didn't speak to me during second period nor during lunch.

Finally, it was the end of ninth period and Vic was waiting for me by the door.

"We have to talk about it," I said.

"When we get to your house," Vic replied.

I flashed him a worried look and frowned.

I hoped I was wrong.

/-/

As soon as I opened the door, I was met with my mom's face.

"Hey guys, how was your day?"

"Same old. Same old," Vic said, giving her a kiss on the cheek,"What about you?"

She shrugged,"Work sucked ass, but I made it through."

I rolled my eyes.

Sometimes, my mom and Vic got along better than she and I.

Whatever.

"Vic and I are going upstairs. Tell Kait not to bother us."

My mom raised an eyebrow and I could have sworn Vic rolled his eyes.

"Bye," I said before grabbing Vic's free hand and pulling him with me to the stairs.

As soon as we passed my room's threshold, I locked the door and turned to Vic.

"Are you cutting again?"