Chapter 3

Luckily for me, Vic pulled away first and we were left staring into each other's eyes.

"I'm sorry," Vic said before turning his head to the side and sitting back on his swing.

"It's okay," I muttered.

"It's just that I've been feeling really lonely lately and I guess I needed the affection."

I nodded.

We sat in silence for another ten minutes before I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

Mom said to bring Vic and his parents to the house.

I locked my phone and turned to Vic,"My mom wants your family to come over."

Vic shook his head,"Tell her we said thanks, but no thanks. I know my parents wouldn't want to impose on you guys."

I rolled my eyes,"What the hell is that supposed to mean? You guys are practically family. You're coming over."

Vic sighed, but agreed,"I just have to go home and change first."

/-/

"Hey, Viv. Hello Victor. How are you?" My mom said as Vic's parents walked through the door.

I nudged her quickly and watched as her cheeks flamed.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't realize what I was say-"

"It's alright," Viv said, holding onto Vic's arm,"I know you didn't mean to. We're holding up. It's been hard, but we're pushing through."

Vic tapped on his mom's arm,"Mama, I'm going to go hang out with Kellin upstairs."

She nodded and my mom smiled,"Alright. I'll call you boys down when dinner is ready."

As Vic went up the stairs quickly, I followed behind, taking two steps at a time to keep up.

When I made it to the top step, I saw my best friend staring blankly at my room door.

"You can go in," I stated, even though it sounded more like a question.

Vic continued to stare at the door,"This was the last time I told him I loved him. I'm glad I did. I didn't know it would be the last time."

I frowned and squeezed his arm,"You'll be okay."

"I'm sorry."

Now it was my turn to look blankly,"Why are you apologizing?"

"I don't mean to keep bringing him up."

Vic placed a shaking hand on the knob and turned it slowly.

I raised an eyebrow and followed as he walked in and sat on my bed, moving my Squirtle stuffie to the side.

"What's wrong?" I asked,"I know about the obvious, but you've been acting weird. Not just sad, but weird."

He shook his head and hugged the Squirtle.

"I'm your best friend. I know something's bothering you."

Vic sighed,"I miss him and I know my parents do too, but they keep on pretending like they didn't have another son. After Mikey... passed, the locked his room door and every time I bring him up, they change the subject."

The tears began to well in his eyes and he gripped he toy tighter.

"Vic..."

"They don't listen anymore. I want to talk about him and just pretend for a small moment that he's not gone."

I took the Squirtle from him and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I swear Viccy," I said into his hair,"I'm always listening."