Chapter 2

Zoyé stood behind the swinging doors and took a deep breath before she turned and delivered the tray of food she was carrying

Zoyé stood behind the swinging doors and took a deep breath before she turned and delivered the tray of food she was carrying. The restaurant was really busy tonight and she felt like she needed to sit for just a minute.

It's been three weeks since she's temporarily moved in with Samantha and started her new job at the restaurant. She loves the freedom she has to work but lately she's been feeling the effect of it lately. She's traded her two days off for one day and works back to back doubles. She's determined to save enough so she can move into her own place soon. Even if it means putting up with crappy customers like the two men she was taking the tray of food to.

"Here you go gentlemen" she said putting on her best fake smile as she placed their meals in front of them.

"Thanks doll face" one of them replied licking his lips as he didn't hide the fact he was undressing her with his eyes.

Doll face? Who even says things like that anymore.

Zoyé tried to keep her face neutral as the thought swirled around in her head.

"Will that be all?" She asked

"How about your phone number beautiful?" It was the other one that responded this time.

Enjoy your meal, let me know if you would like the order anything else"

She dropped the smile just as she turned her back to their table. She made her way over to one of the other waitresses she had gotten close to.

"Well that doesn't look so good. What happened?" Asked Meg indicating to the table with the two men.

"The usual old coots that doesn't know how to act their age. One wanted my number"

"Well did you give it to him?"

"I'm not looking for a sugar daddy"

"Seems like you're not looking for a man at all. I've seen some of the hottest guys come through this restaurant and ask you out and you turn down every single one of them"

"I'm just not interested"

"If you say so"

"Hey if you're interested in them, have at them" she replied pointing towards the table with the men that flirted with her.

"How about you send them my way when they don't look like they should be at the nursing home playing bingo with my grandpa"

Zoyé giggled and rolled her eyes at her friend. Just then a group of people came in and Zoyé step aside as her friend moved pass her to greet them and hand them menus as they sat down.

She slipped her phone from her apron pocket to check for messages but found none. She wasn't surprised though. That efficient nanny they have does an amazing job with both Nickolai and Khile. By the time she gets back to the house at night, he's bath and fed and tucked in bed fast asleep.

Things were going great for her but she is always on edge. She has this annoying feeling like she's being watched. She always brushed it off as being paranoid though because of course no one is ever there.

She was still on medication for the pain caused by her broken rib. Samantha had fussed over her, telling her she should stay home for at least a month but she didn't want that. Sitting in one place made her think and remember things she didn't want to remember.

Plus she preferred to be away from the house. Samantha now has the perfect life and sometimes she envied her. They'd gotten really close and she knows all that Samantha went through. She had trusted her to share a dark part of her life with her. And the fact that she now has a son and a man who loves her and another baby on the way. It made zoyé want more, and more is what got her hurt in the past. She had sworn off men and she intended to keep it that way.

It didn't help that Samantha was in full wedding planning mode for her upcoming wedding. In her free time she dragged her to look at flowers, cake tasting, lining colors. She didn't know so many different shades of one color existed until she was dragged to the bridal store. While it was all fun it still reminds her of all that she wishes she had but doesn't and with all that she's been through she wasn't likely to get.

Nicholas didn't seem at all happy about Samantha inviting them to stay since her crazy ex could be lurking around anywhere just waiting to attack again. She really wish the police would fine him, how hard can it be to find one man.

The restaurant door swung open and zoyé turned to see a couple walk in. She put a smile on her face to go greet them but suddenly the man that appeared behind them caused her steps to falter and she turned and ran. She headed for the double doors and as she reached to pull it open someone swung it open and the handle of the door slammed into her stomach causing her to cry out and double over as she clutched her stomach in pain.

She could hear the distant talking around her and feel someone's hand holding her to keep her from falling. The pain felt like fire in the pit of her stomach as she gasped for air.

"Hospital" she managed to say before everything around went black as she passed out.