Chapter 20- What's normal?

I meant to decline but I'd realized I'd accidentally clicked accept instead.

"Hi mom-"

"Sweetheart, where are you? You're father is hungry and I'm waiting for you. I have the meal picked."

"I told you mom, I'm not doing dinner tonight."

"If you still want a life, then you will get your butt home now. Your father and I need to speak with you."

"But we just talked mom?"

"Talking with you, earlier, doesn't count. We're worried about you and I want you to know that if you want to bring that girl friend of yours, you can, and I have a surprise coming for dinner. Just please hurry home, I need your help with the chicken. I don't really know what I'm doing."

"I don't know how to make chicken either?"

"Well we will figure it out together then."

"Okay, bye-" I hang up.

"Who was that?" James asked.

"Just my mom" I rolled over. Untangling myself from him.

"She need anything?"

"Yeah, well she wants me to come home and help cook."

"That's cool-" He kissed my cheek.

"No, it's not. She said she has a surprise for me, and I can bring a friend."

"Oh, really?"

"Yep." I bit my lip.

"Well I'd love to have dinner at your house...."

"Oh, no. You don't want to. It'd be a nightmare. My parents aren't normal."

"Who's normal?"

"Well, I just know you wouldn't like it."

"Are you sure you just don't want me to have dinner with your family?"

"Well actually, I don't care..."

"Then it's settled, I'm coming with you." He smiled.

There it was. The knot I get at the feeling of difference. An unplanned surprise, dinner with my parents, and James. They have no idea what's coming.... nor do I.