Chapter 39

Maya's POV

Finally junior year is over. Lucas had to work right after we got out of school for our last day so we drove separately because I had plans with Riley and Farkle. The three of us decided to go to Topanga's, ironically where I work. It doesn't bother me like it would most to be somewhere where you work on your day off. Being here is kind of nice because it reminds me of my mom.  I remember when she used to be the one to make us our drinks and bring us our food. I miss those days. I really wish she was here, I need her more now then ever. It's been a hard year and a half without her. Maybe if she was here I would have made different choices. Okay, I need to come back down to earth and enjoy my time with my friends, thinking about depressing things isn't going to help me. Riley and Farkle were sitting on the couch talking amongst themselves.

"You guys happy junior year is finally over?" I slightly interrupted them.

"Yeah, it'll be a nice break from school and stress." Riley replied and Farkle shook his head to agree with Riley, like he always does. "How about you Maya? Are you happy school is over?" She asked putting her attention solely on me.

"Yeah. I honestly need the break. Everything was getting overwhelming and stressful. Hopefully it'll help keep my stress levels down." I said to her while taking a sip of my smoothie.

"What do you mean stress levels?" She asked seeming like she had no idea what I was talking about.

"Come on Riles.. you haven't noticed I've been a little unhinged lately?" I asked her looking in her direction.

"I mean besides hormones you've seemed fine." She stated.  It shows how much she's been paying attention lately, she used to be able to see right through me.

"Sure, lets go with that." I responded while avoiding eye contact with them.

"Maya is something wrong? It seems like you're trying to tell us something, but don't want to come out with it." She asked.

"Nope. I'm fine. Everything is fine, just forget I said anything." I stated.

"This reminds me back to freshmen year when I was certain that Maya was a volcano that was going to erupt." Farkle chimed in as he did the motions like he did back then signifying the erupting volcano.

"You're hilarious. I hope you know that's annoying now." I responded. I didn't want to be known as an erupting volcano.

"Oh come on Maya. Live in the moment it's kind of funny." She said as she laughed with him.

"Sometimes it's embarrassing to be seen in public with you two." I said as I got up and walked out of the bakery leaving them speechless.

Riley's POV

"Riley what just happened?" Farkle asked me in confusion to Maya's random outburst.

"I'm not really sure, I seriously think something is going on with her. She hasn't been too talkative lately and when she does she gets annoyed with anyone in her path. Her and Lucas had a fight last week apparently, well, a disagreement." I explained the situation to Farkle.

"I have a feeling whatever is going on goes deeper then just pregnancy hormones. There's something else going on. We can't pry it out of her though because that will make her even more annoyed. We need to wait until she's ready to tell us." Farkle replied. He was right, but Maya's my best friend and I feel like I haven't been there for her like I should have.

"Yeah I understand that. She's my best friend though and I'm worried." I responded looking down at my cell phone contemplating on texting her.

"As you should be Riley. I'd be worried if you weren't worried about her." He replied while grabbing my hand and intertwining our fingers.

"It's not like her just to flip out like that. I really feel like she was trying to tell us something and we weren't paying enough attention to her." I said in a defeated voice.

"Hey. Don't beat yourself up over it. Maya will come to you when she's ready, she always does. Has Shawn been around lately?" He asked me.

"Not really. He's been really busy with work. I know he keeps tabs with Maya to see how she is and everything, but I don't think they've seen each other in awhile. The last time I saw Maya acting like her normal self was at her baby shower. Ever since then she's been so distant. It's strange. Like a flip of a switch." I explained to him.

"Maybe she's missing Shawn? I'm just going out on a guess here." He replied.

"I didn't think about it, but that could be true, but she would of told me if she wanted to see Shawn so I'm not really sure if that's exactly it." I trailed off because I got lost in thought for a moment. "You know what, I'm going over to her house to see if she's okay, I can't stand knowing she's upset, even if it's just to sit with her until Lucas gets home."

"Want me to come with?" He asked with his hopeful eyes.

"As much as I love you, I think it's best that you don't." I told him while giving him a kiss before walking out to my car.

As I was walking out to my car I could see Maya's car four parking spaces down from mine. She was inside with her head on the steering wheel. I walked over to her car and got in on the passenger side. When she looked up at me she had tears streaming down her face.

"Peaches what's wrong?" I asked in a concerned voice.

"Nothing, I'm fine." She replied between her sobs.

"Maya, if that were true, you wouldn't be sitting in your car crying your eyes out." I replied while grabbing her hand for support.

"I'm sorry for being such a jerk Riles, I don't know what's come over me lately." She said in a choked up voice.

"Are you missing Shawn or something?" I asked her. "Because if that's the case I'm sure he would be happy to come visit."

"No, I just video chatted with him yesterday, why would you think that?" She asked.

"I'm just trying to figure out what has you so upset because you won't tell me anything." I explained to her.

"It's just pregnancy hormones. I promise. It's been making me crazy the past few weeks." She said, but I could tell she was lying. She's never been good at lying even when she thinks she is.

"Do you want me to come hang out over at your place for a bit so you aren't there by yourself all evening? I'll probably have to go when my parents are ready for supper." I offered to her.

"Yeah, that would be nice, thanks Riles." She said while giving me a hug.

I got out of Maya's car and walked over to mine and followed her to her and Lucas's apartment. We made little snacks and binged a few tv shows on Netflix until my mom called me telling me to come home for supper. I'm really worried about her, something isn't right.