Chapter Twenty-Seven

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas everyone! Happy Hanukkah and all that haha. I'm not even religious, what am I doing...

xoxo,
Q.

It’s only after I ring the doorbell that I realize that one of his parents could open the door. That’s when I start to panic.

I really don’t know what his parents know about what happened, but I’m sure that they wouldn’t be too happy to see me.

Thankfully, while I’m waiting, I see Emery’s shadow going down the stairs through the window, and then, sure enough, the door opens to reveal a mess of black hair and bright silver eyes.

“Luke?” Emery says, in surprise.

“Hey.” I say, sticking my hands in my pockets, awkwardly. “Uh, can I come in?”

Emery blinks, and then quickly steps back, opening the door wider. I wipe my feet on the doormat and step into his house.

It’s been a while since I’ve been here.

“Um…” I mutter. “Are your parents home?”

Emery looks at me curiously. “No, they’re visiting Ember. Why?”

I sigh and finally meet his eyes. “I need to talk to you.”

“Well, that sounds ominous.” He says, with a chuckle.

When I don’t crack a smile, his fades and he seems to realize this is going to be a serious conversation.

“You want something to drink?” he asks.

I shake my head. “No, thanks.”

“Uh…alright, then. Come on.” He says and starts to head upstairs. I follow him up to his room and perch myself nervously on the edge of his desk chair, while he flops down easily on his bed.

“Okay, what’s this about?” he asks.

“You were right.” I blurt out immediately. “You were telling the truth the entire time and I didn’t believe you.”

Emery stares at me, but says nothing.

I continue. “I don’t know why I just instantly believed it when Jess told me it was you that outed us. I can’t believe it’s taken me almost three months to realize that we didn’t even take any pictures together.”

There’s a pregnant silence. Emery’s expression is unreadable, which, as you can imagine, is incredibly frustrating.

“So I gather now you know who did it?” he asks.

I nod slowly.

“Can I ask who it was?” he raises his eyebrows.

I sigh, but then answer. “Vanessa.”

Emery lets out a little breathy, humorless laugh. “Of course. You know, for a while, I actually thought it was my sister.”

I consider this. “No, your sister loves you. She may not believe it herself, but I know she does.”

“So did you talk to Vanessa about it?” he asks.

Ah. This is where I start feeling uncomfortable. I flashback to the conversation I had with Vanessa, and the things she said to me – about me.

You don’t know how to love, Luke.

Shut up.

Leopards never change their spots.