Chapter Sixteen

Author's Note:

Because of all the lovely comments you guys left for me on the previous chapter, I'm updating a little early! :) Enjoy!

xoxo,
Q.

“I have a surprise for you.” I say, as soon as Emery opens the door. He smiles and I walk into his house, pulling my boots off.

“Hello, Luke.” His mom says with a smile as she walks past.

“Good afternoon, Elizabeth.” I say. Emery’s parents love me now. It’s pretty awesome.

Emery presses his warm lips to my cold, pink cheek and I smile.

“Come on,” I say, and grab his hand, pulling him up the stairs to his own room. Emery laughs at my hurry.

“Jeez, Luke, what’s so important?” he asks, once we’re in his room and the door is closed. I unwrap my scarf from around my neck and take off my coat, dumping it on his chair, but not before pulling the small box from the pocket. I chew on the inside of my cheek, nervously, but then hold it out for Emery. It’s a red gift box with a small golden bow wrapped around it.

Emery’s eyes widen at the sight of it.
“Merry Christmas?” I say, with a question in my voice, my heart thumping loudly and anxiously.

His mouth is slightly open as he takes the box from my hand and opens it. He takes the silver chain out slowly and stares at the little silver L that hangs on the end.

He bites his lip.

“Do you like—?” I’m about to ask, but he cuts me off by kissing me swiftly and softly. I smile slightly against his lips, which makes him smile too, and I gently run my finger over his dimple before he pulls away.

“I love it.” He says, and, for the sake of every cliché out there, he shoots me a cheeky grin and asks, “will you put it on for me?”

He turns around so his back is facing me and holds the chain out for me to fix around his neck.

I fasten the chain around his neck and then press my lips to the side of his neck, which makes his breath catch in his throat, audibly.

I smile.

“Wait.” He manages to choke out in a breathy voice. “I got you something, too.”

My eyebrows shoot up. I honestly wasn’t expecting that. He pulls a gift box from one of his desk drawers. It’s green, with a white bow, and slightly larger than mine. I smile at him when he hands it to me, and open it curiously. When I see what’s inside, my eyes widen and I look up at him. He’s biting his lip, but he’s smiling too.

“It’s super cheesy.” He quickly says, defensively. “It’s…um…it’s a CD of me singing all the songs I hear in my head when I’m with you.”

I press my hand to his crimson cheek and feel it burning. I kiss his nose and grin. “You’re cute when you blush.”

This just makes him blush even more and I laugh.

“And it’s not cheesy.” I say. “Well, it is. But I love it anyway.”

I kiss his lips softly, and he latches onto me quickly. I snake my hands around his neck, holding the CD in my left hand and playing with the new chain on his neck with my right.

“Are you coming to my game tonight?” I mumble against his lips. He pulls away immediately and stares at me like I’ve lost my mind.

“Of course I am.” He says, indignantly. “Why wouldn’t I be?”