Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Start from the beginning

What are you waiting for? Read it!

A quiet fear gripped him but still he slowly opened the message. His eyes read the words but his mind refused to compute them. 'If you wait till this weekend, and promise to come back – I'll go with you.'

His heart smashed into his ribs.

I'll go with you.

The reality of what he'd done by leaving his phone off twisted his guts with nausea.

If you wait...if you wait...I'll go with you...

The truth of those words sank in with a suddenness that propelled him to his feet, knocking his chair over with loud clatter. “Fuck!

No...no...no...what did you do? What the fuck did you do?!

.......................

“Dammit, Rebecca!” Down the hall, the front door slammed. Swearing sharply, Mason hurried after Noble, rushing down the short hall to the front door, jerking it open.

Don't leave him to himself.

The young man was headed for his car in quick, stiff strides. “Noble!” Mason sprinted down the walk and caught up to the man just as he yanked open the driver door, grabbing his arm. “Wait, son.”

Noble jerked loose of his grip, face pinched, tears streaming. “Just leave me alone!” he cried and went to slide into the car when Mason pulled him back and slammed the door.

“No!” He clutched both of Noble's arms as the young man jerked against him, in a near frenzy. Mason grabbed him and pulled him into a strong embrace.

“Just let me go!” Noble choked, fighting his arms. “I don't want to be here!”

“I'm not letting you leave like this, Noble!” He held the boy tight as he struggled against him. He clutched the back of his head, pulling his face to his shoulder, pressing his lips to the young man's hair. “I'm not letting you go, son.” Noble shook in his arms, his struggles easing up a bit, as he cried against Mason's shoulder. “We'll work this out.”

Shaking his head, Noble pulled back out of Mason's hold and dropped back against the car. “Work what out?” he choked, raking his hands through hair. “It's over! I told you she wouldn't love me anymore. She hates faggots.

Mason's gut twisted. “Noble, son...she's just upset. She'll calm down and we'll talk rationally.” But was that true? Her question – though posed in a desperately improper manner – was legitimate. What had Jonah meant in his text? Had the two of them...

No, Mason insisted silently. No, that didn't happen. Something may have happened, but surely not...that. Now wasn't the time to question the boy about it, though. And he was truly pissed at Rebecca for voicing it as she had. That had been exceedingly uncalled for. Noble was barely holding it together as it was. Dammit, the questions could fucking wait.

.......................

“Come on, baby. Answer your phone.” The cell pressed hard to his ear. His jaw tightening, causing an ache to shoot up into his face, Jonah shoved his hand through his hair, tears rising, blurring the sidewalk. “Answer, dammit!” he choked hoarsely.

He ignored the stares of the coffee shop patrons and passersby, and paced back and forth in front of his table, chair still laying tipped over on the concrete.