Chapter Twenty-Four

"Dear Choromatsu," the letter read, Choromatsu's hands trembling as he stared at his brother's surprisingly neat handwriting.

"I don't know if I'll be able to read this..." Choromatsu thought, his heart thudding so hard he thought he could puke. "He wrote this right before his heart surgery, didn't he...?"

Choromatsu coughed, dabbed his eyes with Osomatsu's handkerchief again, then restarted reading it again.

"Dear Choromatsu,
I know you're most likely reading this years after I've passed on, aren't you? Knowing you as well as I do, I'm sure you are. Are you even at home still? Do you have a job? Have you moved on from my death?

Heh, saying that I've died kinda scares me, but I don't think I'm going to make it through this surgery, Choromatsu. I didn't want to say that to your face, of course, because seeing you cry makes me feel so terrible.

I only wanted you to be happy in the end, Choromatsu. I wanted to see you just enjoy life. Knowing that I'm probably not going to make it makes me want to kill myself.

I know I have let you down as your eldest brother. I'm sorry. But even so, promise me you'll find happiness again, that is, if you haven't already.

I want you to move on from this. Lingering over my death is only going to hurt you more. If you just let me go and move on, you'll feel so much better. You can't go back to the past and change what has already happened, but you can change the future by the small decisions you make each and every day.

Choromatsu, it's time to let me go. Forget about me and move on in your life. That is my wish to you. If you would just do that, I will rest peacefully, knowing I won't have to be concerned about you.

I also guess I should mention how proud I am of you, shouldn't I? I mean, I kinda just said it there, but still. I'm very proud of you, Choromatsu. For over such a small amount of time, you're personality has gone from worrying about yourself, to worrying about others, such as me. You're the most caring person I know, and I wish you the very best in the rest of your life.

Please don't cut yourself either. I know you only did that a few times. But please...don't do it. I don't want to lose you, even though you've already lost me. I know I'm still deep in your heart, aren't I? Do you still have the handkerchief I gave you that day before I left?

I love you, Choromatsu, and I always will. Thank you for being there for me for my entire life. I wish I could have done the same for you...but even so don't worry.

- Matsuno Osomatsu, your beloved eldest brother "

Choromatsu fell over onto the sofa, sobbing as he clutched the now damp letter in his hand, holding it close to his chest.

"O-Osomatsu..." Choromatsu cried, finding that he was crying tears of happiness. "I'm s-so sorry!"

And without another word, Choromatsu pulled a piece of paper and a pen out of his duffel bag, quickly writing something down.

After he finished, Choromatsu placed the note in front of Osomatsu's picture, tears still running down his face.

The note read...

"Dear Osomatsu,
Thank you. I'll see you tonight."

And after that, Choromatsu was never heard nor seen from again. He had forced life to allow him to be with Osomatsu.

~ The End ~