Chapter Sixteen

Choromatsu settled down on the plane and immediately began to listen to the music on his iPod. As the songs of his favorite artists and vocaloids blasted in his ears, he just couldn't focus on anything but his brother.

"You promised everything would be fine, Osomatsu..." Choromatsu thought, closing his eyes as the plane began to take off to America. "This isn't fine at all. Not to mention, this is the last thing I ever expected to happen. I knew at least something bad would happen, but not this. Osomatsu you better freaking be okay. I'll never forgive you if you're not..."

Choromatsu held his breath as Tokyo Teddy Bear began to play, one of his favorite, yet extremely common, vocaloid songs.

"Osomatsu..." Choromatsu thought, still trying his best to hold back his tears. "I don't think I can go on in life without you. So please, please reconsider it all once you're better. You will get better, right? You can't possibly that badly injured. You're strong, the opposite of me, right? Tell me...I wish I could speak with you right now...I wish so badly..."

"Excuse me sir but are you headed to the U.S?" a passenger asked Choromatsu in pure English.

Pulling out his earbuds, Choromatsu tried his best to understand, but it very hard.

"ARE YOU HEADED TO THE UNITED STATES?" the passenger repeated more loudly, pronouncing their words very slowly.

"Yesu," Choromatsu said slowly, having a gut feeling that he had just pronounced the word 'yes' incorrectly.

"You look a lot like the man who was injured in the plane crash yesterday. Are you his brother?" the passenger asked in pure Japanese.

Choromatsu nodded his head, slowly, feeling relieved that he didn't have to speak English again.

"You'll probably be there a long time, considering how bad the crash was," the passenger said again, leaning across the aisle with his phone, showing Choromatsu an image of the plane crash.

"That plane is completely destroyed..." Choromatsu thought, his face going completely pale as he tried his best to not think about how bad off Osomatsu might be. "Osomatsu is pretty shrewd though...I'm sure he managed to get out without hurting himself too badly..."

"Do you know English very well?" the passenger asked.

Choromatsu shook his head. The only English he had ever learned was from Karamatsu. And from the words his brother said, Choromatsu knew that the grammar was most likely incorrect.

"Would you like me to help you? It's a pretty long flight, plus, you'll need to know some stuff if you're going to see your brother in America. Nobody speaks Japanese there. That is, unless you run into those...weird people who are obsessed with Japan for some reason," the passenger said.

Choromatsu nodded his head again. He hadn't thought about how he would be able to communicate up until just now.

"I forgot...that this is another country..." Choromatsu thought, turning his iPod off. "I only know weird phrases from Karamatsu..."

"Would you mind if I sit by you?" the passenger asked, and Choromatsu shook his head. It wasn't like anyone could just suddenly get on the plane. So, it really didn't matter.

"Okay, so first, you'll need to introduce yourself," the passenger said to Choromatsu. "What's your name?"

"C-Choromatsu Matsuno..." Choromatsu stammered.

"So, you would say..." the passenger paused. "Hello, my name is Choromatsu."

And from then on, for the entire plane ride, Choromatsu sat with this strange passenger, learning how to get by in America as he awaited for his brother to supposedly recover.

Several hours later....

Choromatsu wandered down the streets of New York, looking around frantically for a sign that read, "hospital".

But sadly, all he could seem to see were people, cars, and more people and cars. It wasn't much better than Tokyo here.

"Taxi? Taxi?" Choromatsu called out in his thick Japanese accent. And to his surprise, a yellow cab pulled up in front of him.

"Where to?" the driver asked, smoking a cigar.

Choromatsu choked from the smoke, then replied shakily, "d-doctor?"

"Stupid foreigners..." the cab driver muttered, taking his cigar out of his mouth as Choromatsu got in the cab.

Only moments later did Choromatsu finally manage to pay the cab driver once he was at the hospital.

"Thank you!" Choromatsu exclaimed unsteadily as the cab driver rudely drove off without a word.

"Is it just me, or do people seem a bit rude here in America...?" Choromatsu thought as he entered the hospital, quickly approaching the front desk.

"How may I help you?" the lady at the front desk asked while typing something in at her computer.

"Brother in plane crash...?" Choromatsu said uncertainly, and the nurse shot him a sympathetic look.

"Are you looking for Osomatsu Matsuno from Japan?" the nurse asked, and Choromatsu nodded his head. "He's in surgery right now."

Choromatsu's face fell, and the nurse quickly replied in a terrible Japanese accent, having caught on that he was Japanese, "There's a hotel right next to the hospital though. Since the plane crash wasn't your brother's fault, all of his medical expenses as well as your stay at the hotel will be paid for."

Choromatsu nodded his head sadly, swinging his duffle bag over his shoulder. He had wanted to see Osomatsu so badly, but then again, he was quite scared to.

"What am I to expect...when I see Osomatsu again...if I see Osomatsu again..." Choromatsu thought worriedly.