Chapter Twenty-One

The next day...

Osomatsu took a pen as well as a sheet of notebook paper from the stack that he had been given earlier that morning. Slowly, he began to write a letter to his brother Choromatsu, his hands trembling as he struggled to stay calm.

His surgery was to be in just two hours, and Osomatsu was legitimately terrified. He never imagined that his heart was weak, let alone did he imagine he would be having it replaced with someone else's heart.

"Dear Choromatsu..." Osomatsu began writing at the top of the paper. "I know y-" His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the weeaboo nurse, bringing him a heated blanket, for his room was freezing cold.

"Are you feeling okay?" she asked softly, making sure his blanket covered the entire bed.

Osomatsu nodded his head.

"I'm fine," he replied, staring back at the empty page of notebook paper in front of him. "Just a little worried."

"Don't be worried," the nurse said, her voice still calm. "Everything will work out, Osomatsu."

"Yeah, I hope so," Osomatsu sighed, beginning to write more to his letter.

And by the time he had finished it, an hour had passed.

With a sigh, Osomatsu slipped it into an envelope and left it on the tray beside his hospital bed.

Only moments later did several nurses come in, beginning to prepare him for his surgery in an hour.

But when the nurses left for a few minutes, Choromatsu entered the room, his eyes red and puffy, showing he had cried most likely all night long.

"Choromatsu," Osomatsu said, forcing a smile on his face. "I'll be fine, okay? I promise I'll come home with you soon. After all of this is over, just think of how much fun we can have together back in Japan! And in just a few days, this will all seem like one bad dream that never even happened. Just don't worry anymore. Don't worry about me or yourself. In fact, don't worry about anything. You've got to keep going through life no matter the circumstances. It's just a long journey that we've got to fight through. And I promise I'll be there with you each step of the way."

A single tear ran down Choromatsu's face, but he didn't say anything. He didn't want to make Osomatsu feel bad about having the surgery.

"You better get going now, Choromatsu," Osomatsu said with a grin, rubbing under his nose. "But I'll see you in a few hours."

"Yeah," Choromatsu said, nodding his head as he left the room, sensing that something was about to happen. But he couldn't rightly tell if it was going to be good or bad...

Several hours later...

"Why isn't this working?!" the doctor thought desperately, grabbing another instrument from one of his assistants. "What's wrong?!"

"Doctor! His heart!" the assistant exclaimed after they had sewn in the new heart. "It's not beating at all!"

"Just give me a moment!" the doctor yelled angrily, beginning to massage the heart, trying to help it start beating. But the heart had no reaction.

"Doctor we can't lose another patient today!" the assistant yelled angrily as the anesthetic began to run out.

"I know! I know!" the doctor hissed, massaging the heart again. But there was still no reaction.

Once again, the doctor had lost another patient. Osomatsu didn't make it.

An hour later...

Choromatsu sat inside Osomatsu's hospital room, sobbing as he buried his face in his brother's red hoodie which hadn't been worn the entire time he was hospitalized. An though it had been sitting in the smelly hospital, it still smelled strongly of Osomatsu and home.

"You promised, Osomatsu..." Choromatsu thought, struggling to breathe. "You promised we would be happy again...you promised to come home with me..you promised this would all seem like one bad dream...you promised...you...promised..."

"Excuse me, sir?" the weeaboo nurse said, holding out an envelope to Choromatsu. "I believe this is yours."

Choromatsu grabbed the letter, but as soon as he saw his brother's hand writing on the outside of the envelope, he began crying even harder.

Never once in his life had he felt so terrible, regretting that he was still alive, suffering through the death of his brother.

Deep down, Choromatsu had actually expected his brother to make it, but oh, was he so very wrong.

"We have a private plane coming to take the two of you back home in just an hour, Choromatsu," the nurse said. "We assumed you wouldn't want him buried in a place where he didn't belong."

Choromatsu nodded his head weakly, barely able to see from how blurry his tears had made his vision.