I went on the internet and downloaded a telephone directory for Barbados. I didn't know which part exactly in Barbados mom and her family lived or even if they had moved after all these years. I didn't know my grandma or grandpa's name since I forgot to ask while mom was telling me about them but I remembered my uncle's name-Marten.
I began searching through the directory for Marten Stewart, and when I finally found that section I knew this was going to be more than a task- there were over a hundred persons name Marten Stewart in the book. I didn't care if it took me months to finished contacting each and everyone on the list but I am determined to find my uncle.

I dialled the number of the first Marten Stewart on the list, and said the only thing I believe would make sense.

"Hello, good day sir,  I'm calling from the United States, I'm in search of some relatives I hadn't met before but I'm not quite sure of the names. My mom only told me about a Marten Stewart and I'd like to know, did you have a younger sister by the name of Mariean Stewart?"

When the guy told me no, I told him thanks for his time anyway, hang up and proceeded to call the second number. I was disappointed but no one said that this task would be easy and that I'd find him on the first ring, that would've been pure luck and sometimes luck isn't always on our side. I called the second number and ask the same thing, and the answer I got was the same as before. After almost eleven calls I was ready to give up. I had thought that somehow luck would have it that it'd eventually heard from the right one by now. Greta found me in the couch looking really discouraged and disappointed, that's how she asked me what's the matter and I told her and she offered to assist me. We continued calling the different numbers for the next hour and half and still all of them said no.

"I don't think this is of any use" I said to her. "Maybe he moved away or maybe he died or something because we've been through almost all the numbers already and still we haven't found him"

"Don't say that, you don't know that yet. There are still a few more numbers here we haven't tried yet"  Greta replied. "Let's try going through those before coming to any conclusion okay?"

"Alright" I nodded sighing.

We had eventually went through all the Marten Stewarts in the directory and still none of them were my mom's brother. At this point I had given up, it was clear that my mom's brother was either dead, not living in Barbados anymore or his number wasn't enlisted.
That's it, I tried but I guess we're never gonna know what happened to my mom's family.

"Amy I'm so sorry we couldn't find your uncle through that directory" Greta said to me.

"Yeah, its okay though. It wasn't a sure thing that we'd find him" I replied "But I'm just a bit disappointed that we didn't. I was really hoping I could find a family member for my mom and surprise her"

"Hey, maybe you could ask Lucas when he returns, I mean he's got a lot of connections. If anyone can help find your family its Lucas" Greta suggested.

"I don't know, maybe. But I really wanted to do this myself" I said to her.

"I understand... Do you know what is occupation was or anything?" Greta asked me.

"No, I think he was still in university when my mom left there" I said to her "The only other thing I know is that they owned a restaurant at the time- a diner"

"Well do you know the name? If you have the name you could look it up and see if it's still opened. Did you try that?" Greta asked.

"No, I never thought of that" I said becoming hopeful once again and searching through the directory again "I believe mom said it was called Stewart's variety diner...although they could have closed down or change the name"

"Well you have to try first. Nothing try nothing done, you can't know for certain until you try" Greta said.

"Oh my God, look I found it" I said just as I saw the name and the numbers "I don't know if it's theirs but this is it, its my last hope"

"Well go for it. Even if it isn't them, at least you tried and we could still asked Lucas for help"

"Okay, here goes nothing" I sighed dialling the number and putting the phone to my ear.

"Stewart's variety diner, Good day, how may I assist you today?" A girl answered the phone.

"Hello, I'm looking for a Marten Stewart, I'm not sure if I have the correct number" I replied.

"He isn't here, but I could get a message delivered to him. I'm his daughter who may I say is called?" The girl replied surprising me.

Oh my God. I found them. I'm actually speaking with my mom's niece, my cousin. I really was at a lost of words, I wasn't sure what to say.

"Well... I'd actually like to talk to the manager of the restaurant. May I asked who is that? I'd like to talk to that person" I said to her.

"Well my grandparents are the managers of the diner but they aren't in at
the moment. Would you like to leave a message?" She asked me.

"Uh, are they a Mr and Mrs.Stewart?" I asked to make sure.

"Yes, they are the managers" She replied.

"Oh, okay. Uhm, could you tell them to call me back when they are in? I'm calling from the United States, my name is Amy and my number is 137662577165. Its important" I said to her.

"Could you repeat the number again please?" She asked.

"It is 137662577165" I repeat.

"Okay got it. And you said Amy right? From USA?" She asked.

"Yes, that's correct. Please have them call me okay? Thank you, and have a good day" I said to her before hanging up.

"So?" Greta asked me expectantly.

"I... I think I've found them"