Short Story

I slink in the chair in the councling office after another round of being teased. My best friend, Zayn, has 3rd period across the school from me, and that's the one class I get teased. He met up with me outside our science room and tried to comfort me, but today it went too far. Zayn held my hand as we waited for Mrs. Whitaker. She pops her head out of her office and gestures for us to come in.

"So, you're still being teased for your stutter? Is it the same people?" she asks.

"M-m-most-t-tly," I stutter.

"I see, and who is it?"

"Carin and her group," Zayn answers.

"Okay, at this point it's bullying. It is everyday that you're in here. Zeleana, you have to stand up for yourself. Zayn isn't always going to be around."

"I-i-i freeze up-p wh-when I do-d-don't have him around-d and I can't-t t-tal-t-talk."

"Zel, I hate to say this, but she's right. I can't always stand up for you. You are 17. You'll be graduating in two weeks and we'll have three months together. Then you're going to New York for college. I'm still going to be here," Zayn explains.

"I guess I'll have to man up," I say.

"You didn't stutter," Mrs Whitaker notices.

"She only does at school. It's not a forced thing. She just freezes, as she puts it," Zayn says.

~

"P-p-poor Zelean-n-na. WHrer's big boy Zayn to protect you?" Carin cackles.

"I d-don't need him. I can sp-peak for myself," I glare.

"Really? You're little st-st-stuter doesn't make it seem that way?" one of Carin's minions retorts.

"I don't have stutter. It's called social anxiety. Get it right. Now last time I checked you had a two minute passing period to get hlafway across the school, so I'd scurry along."

Carin and her minions gawk at me as I give a little wave. Zayn walks up from behind me and hugs me.

"I knew you had it in you."

"I just thought of what you said with Mrs. Whitaker and how I only stutter when I'm scared. I just imagined them as characters in one of my books."

"That's my girl."