▲▼

The rapping on the front door of the home was what finally snapped Isaac out of his trance. He whipped his head up and noticed that light beams were shining through the windows, brightly illuminating the house. Everything was calm, and the birds outside chirped cheerily, as if nothing was wrong with the world.

The dead body on the couch proved that theory wrong.

The rapping on the door sounds again, reminding him that someone was there. Isaac rubbed his hands over his extremely tired face and finally pushed off the ground, grunting from the soreness in his limbs, courtesy of his position on the floor all night.

He stretches and glances down at Carmen, who, of course, was in the same place she was left. Isaac swallowed the lump in his throat and quickly averted his gaze, trying to push reality from his mind once again as he sauntered slowly to the front door.

Isaac's hand twists the doorknob and opens the door, his mouth going slack in shock. Allison's eyes also went wide, as she didn't expect him to be the one to open the door. Allison held a large, plastic bag in her right hand and her phone in her left.

"Uh, hi." She mumbled lowly.

"Hi," Isaac rubbed his eyes, leaning against the doorframe with a frown. "What are you doing here?"

"The funeral- I mean, uhm," Allison stuttered nervously, taking a deep breath and looking down at the pavement below them. "Derek told Lydia and I to dress her for the burial. Lydia's running late, so she's just going to meet us there."

"It's time already?" Isaac raises his eyebrows, tears forming in his eyes. "I've been awake for that long?"

"You didn't get any sleep?" Allison inquires as Isaac steps to the side and allows her into the home. "You should try to. We have a long day ahead of us."

"You know I can't." Isaac shakes his head, biting his lip harshly.

Allison shoots him a sad smile and walks into the living room, setting her bag on the glass table. As she looks over to Carmen's body, she can't help but gulp down her tears, looking over to Isaac.

"I can take it from here," She gives him a reassuring grin, beginning to pull a dress and makeup from her large plastic bag. "It won't take long."

Isaac clenches his fists in an attempt to calm himself down as he nods and walks out of the room, leaving Allison with Carmen. He makes his way down the hallway and into the bathroom, closing the door behind him quietly. 

Isaac placed his hands on the granite counter and slowly raised his head to examine himself in the mirror. His lips were dry and chapped. His skin was extremely pale, all of the color flushed from crying. There were prominent tear streams down his face that made it obvious that his night had been anything but easy. The streaks complimented the blue bags under his eyes, signifying the extreme lack of sleep he was suffering from.

Isaac brings a hand up to his hair, tugging harshly at his roots. He clenched his jaw and his breathing began to heavy, the haunting thoughts beginning to seep into his brain again.

The love of his life was down the hallway, getting dressed for her own funeral. This isn't right.

Isaac splashes water on his face to wake himself up and mask his tears, drying it off with a towel a second later. He takes more deep breaths and begins to feel himself calm down, averting his gaze from the reflection in the mirror.

"Isaac," He hears Allison call, tapping slightly on the wooden door to get his attention. "She's ready . ."

Isaac sniffs once more and finally pulls himself together, pushing off from the counter and walking out of the door to meet Allison in the living room again.