Chapter 6

^^^EVIE'S OUTFIT ❤️

"Hun, you're a million miles away. What's going on?" Zena asked, concern clear in her tone.

She wasn't wrong though. I hadn't slept well since that asshole dropped a bomb on me and then hung up the phone. It's like Aramis just enjoys toying with me, and I cannot for the life of me understand why.

"It's nothing," I lied.

"You're a terrible liar," Onyx called me out.

We were having breakfast, dressed in the same clothes as the day before. Zena had already complained a million times over about how dirty she felt, so we agreed that we'd go shopping first for clothes before anything else.

I sighed. "It's Aramis."

"We've only been gone for a day and you already miss him?" Bernard teased, resulting in me throwing a cherry tomato at him.

"No! It's the furthest thing from that. The infuriating man called me last night to tell me why he called me by my maiden name," I replied.

"And?" Zena questioned.

"He says I'm not legally married," I informed.

"What? How?" Bernard asked.

"Do share when you find out since he decided to hang up after telling me that and he's been ignoring my phone calls since," I said.

"This is borderline childish on his part. He can't just drop a bomb like that and then not explain himself," Onyx said.

"THANK YOU!" I shouted.

Zena laughed a little, patting my arm. "Alright hun, calm down. Remember, we're not letting him get the better of you."

"Except he's getting away with it Zena. He clearly knows something crucial about me, and I have no choice but to wait until he decides I deserve to know about my own life," I snapped, irritated.

Yeah, I was the furthest thing from calm or happy.

"If he found this out, it must mean he had to really dig deep," Bernard said thoughtfully.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He sat up straight. "Well, while it was easy for your father to say everything should be in your name, there are a couple of things that we're obviously still dealing with transferring to your name. We keep hitting roadblocks, so for him to have found out that you're not legally married, means something fishy is going on."

His words only confirmed my thoughts. It's all I could think about the whole night, and my mind kept going back to the fact that Zayn married me for my father's money. We had the whole wedding shebang and I was not dealing well with the fact that not only was he cheating on me with my sister, but I'd been lied to on such a level as well.

"She doesn't look well," I faintly heard Onyx comment. I was just numb.

"Aramis, stop being a fucking asshole. The woman is about to pass out," Zena snapped. I looked at her in confusion only to realize that she was on the phone. I was even more confused when she handed me her phone.

"He wants to talk to you," she informed.

I put the phone to my ear. "I'll be in New York by tomorrow. Do you think you can hold onto your wits until then? I'll explain everything to you the next time I see you."

"How do you know that we're in New York?" I instead asked.

"You can't hide from me Evie, try as you may," he said before the line went dead.