NINETEEN

Never in my life would I have thought I'd be falling for a nerd. Someone I promised myself I'd never fall for, but somehow she's different. Maybe I got the wrong idea about who nerds really are. Maybe they're just like me... with a bit more intelligence.

But every time I look at Tom my point of view on nerds change again. It seems like he is the type of a nerd I've been avoiding my whole life by putting everyone in the same sack as him and by thinking every nerd is like him I've abandoned myself from people like Melanie.

I have no idea how this is going to work because Michael knows about my feelings towards her and he isn't agreeing, well if he isn't then why would anybody else? My closest best friend doesn't like the idea behind all of this, why should people that don't even know me like it?

All I know is that I can't keep away from her and somehow I think the feeling is mutual. I've done some pretty bad shit in my life, had some pretty bad ideas but this one seems like the worst idea out of all of them so far.

Never would I have thought that one day Melanie Rivers would show up at my door and I'd greet her with a kiss.

My mom started rattling on about us two being a "thing". Usually I'd laugh it off and take the girl to my bedroom but with Melanie it's different, she's different. I felt uncomfortable in front of everybody especially Michael, I didn't know what to say, so me being an idiot I left her to talk her way out of it.

She was so adorable though

She's so different to what I'd usually go for, matter of fact she's the opposite of what I'd go for, so how on earth am I being attracted to her for some strange reason? Worst thing is contemplating whether to tell her about how I feel or leave it be, leave her be... because she's so nice and good. God she's such a good girl and I wouldn't even dare to try and change that. She's uh, you know, just a normal girl who's not playing at anything, unlike these other girls.

And yes, I told my mom about her. You see, after my dad left we kind of started to bond more because we only had and still have each other that's it. When dad was here, they wouldn't give two fucks about where I was, who I was with, what time I'd be coming back at or what I was doing, simply because they were too busy arguing over shit all the damn time, so they had no time for me.

But now that he's not here any more, mom actually found some time to take care of me and give me parenting which I haven't had since the age of sixteen, now she regularly asks me where am going, etcetera, which I now find a bit annoying, so I do understand what the boys meant when they were saying I should be happy, still better than not giving a fuck though.

When I told her I'm studying after school she didn't believe me. Me studying? Ffss, come on, as if. But now I can tell that she's proud of me which is an unpayable thing, we may not be rich, have fancy cars or classy jobs, but we still value everything, to me the littlest things mean the most. My mom gives me everything, the last cent she has because she just wants me to be happy and make it somewhere, make it till the end so I don't end up like her. She believes in me, just like Melanie does and that's what I appreciate.

And guess what? I'm going to make it, I'm going to be the best football player, get into the best college and play for the best team to prove my dad wrong.

And do it for my mom and myself obviously

* * *

I decided to take them all into the park that Melanie took me to last time, better than staying inside, so I thought about having a picnic. I packed a few different foods and desserts, some fruit and drinks and other snacks, packed the big picnic blanket and put it all into a brown knitted picnic basket.

"So are you like a nerd too?" Michael speaks up and we all look at him really weirdly.

"You're speaking to me?" Melanie's cousin Eve turns her head to look at Michael, he nods while me and Melanie keep watching the nice scenery happening in front of our eyes. "Oh I don't care" she finishes and me and Mel start laughing, Michael's face goes red, it's not every day that you see girls ignoring him.

"Oh so you are..." I know exactly where this is going towards, he's trying to piss her off, "Even if I was, what has it got to do with you?" she spits back. Seems like Melanie and Eve are actually blood related, they get really defensive over the whole 'nerd' thing.

"You're right nothing, it's just that I'd rather not be seen with you, no offence"

"None taken the feeling the mutual, assholes like you think they're all that but really they ain't shit"

"Yeah? Well girls like you think they're really clever but they really ain't"

"I go to Merlin Hill High, which is the hardest school to get into, so yeah I would say I'm pretty clever"

I give off a laugh that I've been holding in and couldn't keep it in any more, "Go get a room you two" I say as I throw some grapes at Michael. Eve rolls her eyes and Michael does the same, I look at Melanie who's sitting next to me on the same white and blue blanket, I see her smiling and suddenly everything around me freezes and she becomes the main focus point.

I smile to myself, not wanting anyone to catch it, "Why don't you two get a room instead?" Eve suggests and I stand up right away grabbing Melanie by her hand to stand up, "good idea" I say and wink at her cousin while still picking Melanie up.

I lead her away from them with my hand on her waist. She unexpectedly escapes my grip and goes back to the blanket, kneeling down and grabbing the rest of her chocolate muffin. A wide grin appears on my face as I shake my head, girls and their food.

"They wanted to be alone" I say to her when we get out of the park, making our way to the beach which is only like a 10 minute walk from here.

"Are you sure it wasn't you who wanted to be alone?" she raises one of her eyebrows at me and I chuckle to myself, putting my hands into my pockets, "Yeah that too" I smirk.