Peace

Chapter 83: Peace

Severus remained headmaster of Hogwarts for the remainder of the year. After a mass celebration, he tried to get things back to normal. It was hard to focus on school with all of the excitement buzzing around, but somehow we managed. I took my NEWTS with the rest of my class, and soon we had all graduated. I was unsure of my future as I left the castle for the last time, but I knew it was full of possibilities.

My parents and the Weasleys decided to host a part at the beginning of the summer in our yards. I thought it was a great idea and helped out. My family cooked traditional American foods while the Weasleys provided British and wizard desserts. After everything was set up, I stayed in the yard to wait for everyone to arrive.

"What do you suppose you will do next year?" Ginny asked as she came to wait with me.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I have been so busy worrying about the war that I could not plan much. I guess I'll get some sort of potions job."

Ginny nodded. "I still have one year left of school." She smiled. "I'll be in the same year as Harry, Ron, and Hermione."

"That'll be cool," I said. "At least you'll have one normal year in school with them."

"I'm sure you'll come up with a plan. You'll succeed at anything you try."

I smiled slightly. "Thanks, Ginny." The truth was, after the war and giving everything for liberty and love, an ordinary job did not seem important enough. There had to be more I could do.

"Sure. Look, you favorite Slytherins are here."

I turned to follow her gaze. Severus had arrived with the Malfoys. I bounded over to greet them immediately, knowing they could feel out of place at a party like this. "Hey, guys. Thanks for coming."

"Of course," said Draco. This was the first time I had seen him since school, which may have been one of his motivations for coming.

"Hello, Draco," said Ginny when she caught up with me.

Draco gave her a small nod. "Ginny."

"What's that smell?" said Lucius.

A smile twitched on my face. "Those are burgers. We eat them all the time in America." All four Slytherins appeared terribly confused, and I laughed. "Come on. They're good." I led the way over to the food.

"They're new to me as well," said Ginny as we walked with us.

My dad was manning the grill, and he looked up when we approached. "Hello. Welcome to our little party."

"Thank you for having us," said Narcissa.

"We're glad to have you," said Mom as she appeared by Dad's side. "Feel free to dig in!"

Emily and Lizzie were already in line. I grabbed a burger, fries, some sort of dessert, and juice, and Draco followed suit. My sisters were sitting next to each other at a picnic table, so we sat across from them.

"How have you two been?" Draco asked.

"Good now that we know our sister isn't the enemy," Emily said, and I rolled my eyes.

"I knew it all along!" Lizzie piped up.

Emily looked at her with raised eyebrows. "Right."

"George did," I said softly while staring at my plate.

"Well, he does love you," said Emily. "Love sees the truth." Lizzie shot her a look and she smiled sheepishly.