Phoenix Tears

Chapter 60: Phoenix Tears

I managed to remain more active for the next several days. Still, nothing much happened. I went over to visit George once, but that was about it. Then, on the last day of July, something out of the ordinary did happen.

My family and I had just finished eating dinner when there was a knock on the door. My dad left to answer it, so I did not think much of it. I was surprised, however, when he returned a minute later with the Minister of Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour.

"I am sorry to interrupt," Scrimgeour said. "I need to speak with Miss Crystal Hansen in private."

"Me?" I said in surprise as I stood up from my seat.

"Yes," the minister said tightly.

"What is this about?" my mom asked, looking at him in worry.

"Is Crystal in trouble?" Emily asked.

"I'm sure she will tell you all about it when we finish," Scrimgeour said, sounding impatient.

"You better leave," I said, looking around at my family. They did not seem happy about the prospect, but they all filed out from the kitchen and into the living room. I turned to the minister. "Yes?"

Scrimgeour put his hand inside his cloak and drew out a large drawstring pouch. From it, he removed a scroll of parchment which he unrolled and read aloud. 'The Last Will and Testament of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.'" He lowered the paper and looked at me pointedly. "Were you close to Dumbledore, Miss Hansen?"

I had been caught by surprise. I had not thought we were, but... He had left me something in his will? He knew he would be dying, so it had to be something important. "We talked several times," I said slowly. "We sort of... understood each other." I was cautious to give away too much; I still did not trust the Ministry.

"I see," Scrimgeour said tightly. He returned to the will. "'To Crystal Lea Hansen, I leave a vile of phoenix tears as a reminder of the power of the gift of healing.'" Out of the bag, he pulled out a vile that looked like it was full of only a few drops of liquid.

I took the vile from him and eyed it carefully. It seemed like this would only be good for one wound. The tears came from Fawkes, no doubt. I wondered how Dumbledore had gotten the phoenix to donate them and why he had wanted me to have them.

"Phoenix tears are very rare and valuable," Scrimgeour said. "They have the power to heal any wound, including those that would be fatal. Why do you suppose Dumbledore gave this to you?"

I looked at him and blinked. Was he interrogating me? Did he think Dumbledore was giving me some sort of secret message? Was that why the will had not been released until now? "Because there's a war going on," I said. "People I care about are bound to get hurt."

"Yes, but why you?" the minister said impatiently. "Dumbledore left most of his possessions to Hogwarts. The only people he remembered in his will were Potter, Weasley, Granger, and you. Do you have any idea why?"

"Nope," I said. And even if I did, I was not about to tell him. "Is that all? I'd like to go back to me family."

Scrimgeour did not look happy. With a huff, he said, "Very well. Good day, Miss Hansen." I watched him turned around and stalk out of the room.

I held the vile in my hand as I headed into the living room. I stopped when I saw that my family was sitting down, waiting for me. "What's that?" my mom asked.