Apparition

Chapter 50: Apparition

Once again, the snow melted away too soon. Why did it always go away once it hit February? It would not have been so bad if it were not still cold and wet. Winter was no fun without snow; now there was no reason for me to venture outside. I found myself eagerly awaiting spring.

The first apparition lesson was the morning of the first Saturday in February, and it took place in the Great Hall. I was a bit less eager than the others (partly due to having to wake up so early on the weekend), but I was still intrigued by the prospect of learning to apparate.

I arrived on my own, and I stood by myself once I entered the room. I saw the tables had been cleared away. The Heads of Houses and a small wizard who was probably the instructor from the Ministry stood in the front. I ignored the incessant chatter of students as we waited and chose to focus on the rain lashing against the windows. I noticed Hermione but did not go to her because she was standing with Harry.

"Good morning," the Ministry wizard said when all the students had arrived and the Heads of House had called for quiet. "My name is Wilkie Twycross and I shall be your Ministry-Apparition Instructor for the next twelve weeks. I hope to be able to prepare you for your Apparition test in this time--"

"Malfoy, be quiet and pay attention!" Professor McGonagall barked.

Everybody looked round. Draco had flushed a dull pink; he looked furious as he stepped away from Vincent Crabbe, with whom he appeared to have been having a whispered argument.

"--by which time, many of you may be ready to take your test," Twycross continued as though there had been no interruption. "As you may know, it is usually impossible to Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts. The Headmaster has lifted this enchantment, purely within the Great Hall, for one hour, so as to enable you to practice. May I emphasize that you will not be able to Apparate outside the walls of this Hall, and that you would be unwise to try. I would like each of you to place yourselves now so that you have a clear five feet of space in front of you."

There was a great scrambling and jostling as people separated, banged into each other, and ordered others out of their space. The Heads of House moved among the students, marshalling them into position and breaking up arguments.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Harry scurrying away from Hermione. My eyes narrowed when I saw that he was heading towards Draco. He was probably hoping for a chance to eavesdrop. There was probably nothing I could do to stop him, but I was not going to let him gain more information than me. I silently slinked through the crowd until I got to the back where Harry was standing directly behind Draco. Vincent was standing five feet away from Draco to the side, so I stood behind him. Harry noticed me and sent me a glare, and I returned it in kind.

Draco was taking advantage of the current upheaval to continue his argument with Vincent. "I don't know how much longer, all right?" he shot at him, oblivious to Harry standing right behind him. "It's taking longer than I thought it would." Vincent opened his mouth, but Draco appeared to second-guess what he was going to say. "Look, it's none of your business what I'm doing, Crabbe, you and Goyle just do as you're told and keep a lookout!"

"I tell my friends what I'm up to, if I want them to keep a lookout for me," Harry said, just loud enough for Draco to hear him.

I heard as well, and I shot him another glare.

Draco spun round on the spot, his hand flying to his wand, but at that precise moment the four Heads of House shouted, "Quiet!" and silence fell again. Draco turned slowly to face the front. I reluctantly did the same.