Christmas Plans

Chapter 74: Christmas Plans

Christmas Eve passed by like any normal day. Draco told me his family always celebrated on Christmas Day, so everything was fine. I knew we were quickly running out of time. If I wanted something to happen, Christmas had to be the day. What better day to teach about love and family? I could not let this opportunity pass me by.

I was awoken by Draco, who was lying beside me. We were both on our sides, facing each other. "Merry Christmas, Crystal," he said softly before kissing my forehead.

"Merry Christmas, Draco," I said, smiling at him. I lay there for another minute before deciding to get up and get ready for the day; it was going to be a big one.

The adults were already at the table when we entered the dining room together. "Good morning," Narcissa said as she looked up at us.

"Good morning, Mum," Draco said. "Merry Christmas."

A faint smile appeared on her face. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas!" I said brightly, looking around at everyone. A positive attitude was a must for this occasion. "When are we celebrating?"

Lucius seemed to hesitate before saying, "After breakfast would be nice."

I nodded. "Great."

The family always ate slowly, and I matched their pace. Silence did not usually bother me, but it felt awkward amongst them. It was definitely different than the meals I shared with my own family. With a pang, I wondered how they were doing without me. Were they still exchanging presents out of celebration, or were they mourning their perceived failure?

I had to force myself to stop thinking about them. Even though I knew I could protect my mind from attacks, I was afraid that my thoughts and emotions would show on my face. I tried to appear as nonchalant as possible. Thankfully, it seemed to work.

I was the first to finish. I looked around at everyone else as I waited for them to finish. I could not read anyone else's expressions. I wondered if the Malfoys were trying to hide something form Bellatrix like I was. I still did not have Narcissa on my side, but I was hoping that would change after today.

"Shall we celebrate?" Bellatrix said once everyone had eaten. She took out her wand and cleared the table. "To the living room."

I stood up and walked behind Draco. "Do you mind if I do a little decorating?" I asked out loud. I remembered seeing a tree in the living room, but otherwise it was absent of Christmas spirit. I hoped this request was not giving away too much.

"I do not mind," Bellatrix said. She glanced at her sister. "What do you think?"

"That is fine with me," Narcissa calmly said, glancing back at me for a second.

Draco looked at me with raised eyebrows, but I simply smiled at him. This was going to be great. Decorations would put us into the correct mood.

Just as I had suspected, the living room was bare except for the pine tree in the corner. The tree itself was only decorated with tinsel and the presents beneath it. I pulled out my wand, grinning at the thought that I could now use magic outside of school. I stepped forward and got to work.

I decorated the tree with bulbs, ornaments, and a star on top. Then I made strings of red and green cross the ceiling in the room. I saw Draco roll his eyes when I made mistletoe spring up over the doorway. Lastly, I turned to the music box and enchanted it to begin playing old Christmas music. I looked around at everyone and smiled. "What do you think?"