Love and Death

Chapter 70: Love and Death

I was pleased with the way Draco and my Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons with Severus Snape were going. I could feel us growing stronger each week. We had learned how to fight together, and our power was enhanced because of it. By Thanksgiving, we had gotten some advanced magic, which raised my confidence in our ability to survive the future.

"Today I want to practice casting a Patronus," Severus said that Thursday evening. He stood facing Draco and me in his office; we listened attentively. "Crystal, I know you have already acquired this particular skill, so I want you to help Draco."

I nodded. "Ok."

"Isn't casting a Patronus supposed to be really hard?" Draco asked.

"It is," Severus said, "especially a corporeal Patronus, but even a non-corporeal Patronus will help protect you against dementors, which you will likely have to face if there is a battle. A corporeal Patronus is one that is fully-formed, taking the shape of an animal. The specific animal forms that corporeal Patronuses take vary from person to person and reflect each individual's personality... or something important to the person."

I smiled, understanding the implication. "And they can send messages, right?" That was something he had taught me the previous year.

Severus nodded. "Correct. Dumbledore invented this technique, and it is the way in which the Order communicates. Furthermore, it can be a means to decipher who is a friend and who is a foe. Most dark wizards who try to produce a Patronus will be devoured by maggots that come from their wand."

Draco and I shared shocked glances.

"However," Severus continued, "some exceptionally powerful dark wizards will be able to produce a Patronus without any problem." He turned to Draco. "To cast a Patronus, you must focus on the happiest memory you can think of while drawing circles with your wand in order to increase the power of your spell. When you are ready, say 'Expecto Patronum.'" He looked at me. "Would you like to demonstrate?"

I nodded. Draco looked nervous, so it was probably a good idea to show him how it was done. I took out my wand and closed my eyes while taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. I decided to choose a new, more recent memory; I focused on the moment when Draco came back to me. Then I opened my eyes, pointed my wand to the ceiling and said, "Expecto Patronum!" A bright light issued from my wand, and my bald eagle appeared; it flew around the room before disappearing.

"Excellent," Severus said. "Draco, why don't you try?"

"Ok," Draco said, seeming uncertain. He appeared to be thinking as he twirled his wand in the air. Then he looked up and said, "Expecto Patronum." Nothing happen.

"Try again," Severus said. "It takes practice."

Draco nodded, but I could tell he was frustrated.

I watched him practice for almost an hour. Finally, as Draco said the spell again, a bright, white light emerged from his wand. He seemed surprised at his success.

"Very good," Severus said, appearing pleased. "That is a non-corporeal Patronus."

"But it's not good enough!" Draco said. "I'm relaxed now, so if I have to do the spell in a tough situation, I'm not going to be able to even do that." He looked away and glared at the ground.

Severus glanced at me. "Do you want to help him?"

I nodded. Draco's self-defeating attitude was not helping him. If he had enough confidence n himself, I was sure he could be successful. I walked over to him and touched his arm. "Draco," I said softly.