Chapter 40

"We've got to get them before they get us." Jace announced.

Tessa and everyone else sat in headquarters the next, planning what course of action they should take next. They didn't have work for a few weeks, since the building was being repaired, so now they had a lot of free time on their hands.

"What?" Cecily echoed.

"We have to make the first move against Sebastian and his gang." Jace repeated.

"I don't know, Jace." Clary started. "We might start something that we don't want."

"Well, they're going to do something to us either way." Will pointed out. "It's only a matter of time."

"Exactly." Said Jace. "We need to do something now."

"We have to stop them." Tessa piped up. "We need to get Sebastian to leave their gang."

"But how?" Isabelle questioned. "He never will. He loves that gang for reasons I'll never understand."

Jace stared at Isabelle for a long time, and then he clapped his hands together, startling everyone.

"I've got it." He announced. "We need to use Isabelle."

"What do you mean 'use me'?" She demanded.

"We all know the only person Sebastian loves more than himself is you. So, if we could use you in some way to make him leave his gang, it might work." Jace explained.

"That's true." Gabriel spoke up. "But how would we do that?"

Jace opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it.

"Didn't think that far, did you?" Will asked, amused, and Jace shook his head.

"I don't think we should use me." Isabelle shook her head. "I don't think he really cares about me anymore. After all that's happened."

Everyone shot her a look that meant "who are you trying to kid?" and Isabelle only looked away. Tessa bit her lip, deep in thought.

"We should steal something of theirs. Something valuable." Simon piped up.

Tessa looked over at Isabelle. "You must know something precious to Sebastian. Something we can take."

She sighed, and was silent for a few seconds. "There is one thing. The first thing they ever stole - a diamond."

"A diamond?" Gabriel echoed. "How do you know that?"

Isabelle sighed again. "It was for me. I had told Sebastian on the first day we met, that one day I wanted to have an actual big diamond. Then one day he showed up at my door - after we'd broken up - with the diamond."

"Aww, that's kind of cute." Clary said.

"It is." Tessa agreed. "The fact that he remembered."

"So now you want me to get you a diamond?" Will sounded amused, looking at Tessa.

She laughed. "You're a present, enough."

"And then what?" Jace questioned, looking at Isabelle.

"What else? I told him I wouldn't accept it." Isabelle replied.