Chapter 36

"I slept with Sebastian." Isabelle whispered, staring at the floor.

Tessa's eyes widened in surprise. Her, Cecily, and Clary were all at Isabelle's. She had called all of them and told them to come over - she had sounded upset on the phone.

"You slept with him?" Clary repeated, shocked.

Isabelle only nodded her head, looking a bit ashamed.

"Oh, Izzy, why?" Cecily asked, frowning.

"She's in love with him, why else." Tessa frowned as well. "But you just broke up with Simon?"

Isabelle sighed. "I know. God, I'm such a horrible person."

"Did you call him and invite him over?" Clary inquired.

Isabelle shook her head. "He just showed up at my door, and I invited him in, and then--" She broke off.

"Does he still love you?" Cecily asked softly.

"Yes." Isabelle replied, looking at the floor. "But yesterday morning, I told him I couldn't be with him. He told me that he was done with me - that he was giving up."

"And do you want that?" Tessa piped up.

Isabelle hesitated, and then sighed. "No, I don't, but I can't keep leading him on. Maybe it's for the best that he's done with me."

"I'm really sorry, Izzy." Clary frowned. "I know how much you two loved each other."

"He told me that I put him together just to tear him apart again." Isabelle started, whispering. "But he does that to me, too, he just doesn't see it. When I'm with him, I feel like every part of myself is finally okay, but as soon as he leaves, I'm in pieces again."

"Oh, Isabelle." Cecily spoke gently, sounding sympathetic.

"God, I love him." Isabelle started to cry. "What am I going to do?"

In a second, Cecily was sitting beside Isabelle, her arm around her shoulder.

"You could be with him again." Tessa suggested.

"I can't. What would everyone think? And I know you all don't like him - I don't even expect you to - he's turned into a horrible person. But I just can't let him go." A tear ran down her cheek.

Suddenly, the front door of her house opened, and Will and Jace walked in. Will immediately shot Tessa a smirk, and she smiled at him, blushing a bit. His smirk disappeared, though, when he saw that Isabelle was crying.

"What happened?" Jace asked.

Cecily waved it away. "Don't worry about it."

Jace looked suspicious, but didn't push.

"What's going on?" Clary asked the two boys.

"Sebastian's gang joined the other one that he told us about. The bad one."
Will announced.

"What?" Cecily demanded. "Why?"

"We have no idea. One of his minions came and told us." Jace piped up.

"This is because of me." Isabelle spoke, staring at the floor. "He's doing this go hurt me."