Chapter 24 - The Measure of Love

Start from the beginning

"You are Nephilim now." Charlotte beamed, knowing something no one else did. "I name you Charlotte-Evangeline Fairchild, of the blood of Jonathan Shadowhunter, child of the Nephilim. Arise, Charlotte-Evangeline."

Evan rose, eyes wide as Charlotte put down the Cup and embraced Evan first, whispering something in her ear than made Evan nod vigorously and reply. Then, Charlotte released her, and Evan left the configuration of circles, where Will was waiting for her, beaming.

"Henry and Charlotte adopted me," Evan smiled more widely than Will's ever seen as he pulled her close.

Behind the windows, white stuff swirled. Snow.

"Merry Christmas, Evan." Will said softly against her hair.

The Enclave's annual Christmas party was more of a ball than Evan had ever considered it would be. The ballroom at the Institute was open and lit, filled to the brim with food and dancing people and children. Outside, it was dark but snow danced across the wind to the music inside. There was a Christmas tree, but it was decorated with candles and crystallized runes instead of ornaments. It was something out of a fairytale, Evan decided as she walked with Charlotte and Henry, her adoptive parents, to the party.

"Fairchild," Henry had said once Evan had gone to hug him after her Ascension. "Of course, Little Charles Buford Fairchild will need an older sister to be there for him as well."

Evan hadn't stopped smiling since. As an early present, Charlotte bought her a gorgeous red velvet dress; it wasn't voluminous as others were, it was more of a style Evan was used to with its swishing, flowy skirt that spun out at the waist and tight top with long sleeves, except for the fact that it was still made of the same fabrics all nineteenth century dresses were. The deep red of the dress almost shimmered in the gold light. Evan wore her tanzanite necklace, all her earrings in their respective piercings and did her makeup just as she'd done for the past few months. The neckline of the dress was just over her shoulders, showing her bony collarbone and pale skin. Evan's silver hair was braided, twisted and pulled back into an elegant updo that Cecily helped her with. The one pair of heels Evan had planned to bring with her to New York were on her feet, clicking against the stone.

Cecily met her at the door and grabbed her hand with a smile. "Merry Christmas, Evan. Merry Christmas, Charlotte, Henry."

"Merry Christmas, Cecily," Charlotte smiled, nodding for the two girls to head off on their own, arm-in-arm with Henry.

"Merry Christmas, Gabriel." Henry nodded to the Lightwood brother following Cecily dutifully.

"Merry Christmas," Gabriel nodded, turning to follow the girls as Cecily took Evan's and and dragged her to the window.

"Do you remember what you promised at Cadair Idris?" Cecily grinned.

"I didn't promise, I snorted." Evan matched her grin. "Your job to figure out the rest."

"I already did." Cecily glanced around. "Oh! Look at Tessa's dress!"

Evan glanced over to where Tessa and Jem were enjoying their last night of not being married. Their wedding was the next day, finally approved by the Clave. Tessa's rose-colored dress really did shimmer in the light as Jem twirled her and spun her around the dancefloor.

"And where is your courter, Miss DeLuca?" Gabriel asked, sitting next to Cecily, touching her hand delicately.

"Nowhere to be found." Evan said theatrically. Cecily rolled her eyes.

"Henry is enjoying being Evan's father, I think," Cecily mused. "He's protective."

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Evan said with a slight smile . It was true, Henry had become a little protective since Evan was legally his daughter. Evan didn't mind, though; she and Will had worried about what her parents thought of him. Now it wasn't that they didn't like him, it was just that she was their daughter. Henry and Charlotte had said as much on the carriage ride to the city. "A family outing!" Henry had announced.